Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS @ 105mm
Av mode
1/200"
F10
ISO:200
LR & CS3
Tripod

The wood is a weathered oak board from an old barn on the property.

I'm hoping someone can tell me what this is. Otherwise I'll have to go through the million names on the wildflower mix package and look up each one to figure it out. :)

Ken Childs
08-18-2010, 05:44 PM
The brain is a strange thing. After staring at this image for awhile, I thought to myself, I wonder if this is a Coreopsis? This is really strange because as far as I know, I don't know what a Coreopsis looks like. :confused:

Jim Bridges
08-19-2010, 07:09 AM
Ken you're right on the ID...one of the few wildflowers we have in this area too...little crab spiders like them too.:)

Roman Kurywczak
08-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Hey Ken,
For me compostionally...the cut stem was bothering me....and not 100% sure why. I went for the crop and then toned down the yellows in color balance (just the petals).......lightened the center......perhaps more than I should have but I wnated to readily show the difference. Final step was minor clean up of the board....just below the flower and some of the whitish spots on the left and above. This does work better for me....still debating that center....even myself. Let me know your thoughts.

Roman Kurywczak
08-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Hey Ken,
Looking at the OP.....I might leave the crop as is....the whitish area flows diagonally.....perhaps just clean up the white area at the end of stem?

Jonathan Ashton
08-19-2010, 01:20 PM
I like the shot but was also a little concerned about the stem - how is this, I have also adjusted SH and added a little Selective colour:)

Roman Kurywczak
08-19-2010, 01:42 PM
Hey Ken,
You know me and that crop tool....so I'm liking Jonathan's version best.

Ken Childs
08-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Thanks, guys. Both reposts look good but I think I'll stick with my original crop. I'm not trying to show a growing flower so showing the end of the stem isn't a problem, IMHO. As feeble as it may be, it's more of an attempt at art. :D

Roman, I had already opened up the center of the flower a bunch but I can see that it could stand a bit more lightening...maybe somewhere between your version and mine.

Mike Moats
08-20-2010, 05:49 AM
Hey Ken, I do like the original and also like Jon's crop. You have some nice texture in the wood, so I would have liked to seen more DOF to show off some of that texture. Nice color contrast of the flower against the wood.

Desmond Chan
08-21-2010, 02:38 AM
...but I think I'll stick with my original crop. I'm not trying to show a growing flower so showing the end of the stem isn't a problem, IMHO.

I'm with you one this one, Ken. Perhaps crop a bit more? I do agree with Mike on DOF.

Roman, I had already opened up the center of the flower a bunch but I can see that it could stand a bit more lightening...maybe somewhere between your version and mine.I personally find the original has more contrast. Roman's version...the colors look washed out a teeny tiny bit on my monitor (sorry Roman :)).

Anita Bower
08-21-2010, 04:20 PM
Ken, you may not know what a Coreopsis looks like, but your subconscious does. :)

My first thought upon seeing this image, after trying to figure out what the flower was, was wishing the board was completely in focus. My second thought was that the area of the board that is in focus and of a lighter color, to the right of the flower, was distracting. The out of focus area at the bottom really bothers me. The stem is OK with me. Pretty little flower. I wonder if it is native to the area in which you live.