PDA

View Full Version : Another R/D Lily

Douglas Bolt
08-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Canon 5D, 400DO, 1/200, f16, ISO 400, no flash, tripod, cropped top & bottom only, removed distracting ?? from UL, Softlight blend on petals, curves on petals, and sharpened flower & yellows separately.

CC always appreciated. One more from Roman and Denise's workshop at Longwood Gardens Aug. 14.

denise ippolito
08-18-2010, 08:13 PM
Douglas, I love the colors, the reflection and the sharpness. The way the flower petals fall open is lovely. I even like the water color. The only thing that hurts this image in my opinion is the mixed lighting.

Nick Palmieri
08-19-2010, 06:30 AM
I like the composition. The water, the petals and the reflection are very nice. NO FLASH and you were on a Roman workshop??? I think flash would have evened out the lighting.

Roman Kurywczak
08-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Hey Douglas,
Yeah.....this one was far ....so not sure the flash would reach as well and shading was out of the question too. I do think you can try to tone the lighter area a bit now in PP'ing and perhaps lighten the shadow side......comp wise this was nicely handled and the water color is fantastic!.....so worth trying a few tweaks to try and take it up a notch or 2!

Douglas Bolt
08-19-2010, 10:17 AM
Hey Douglas,
Yeah.....this one was far ....so not sure the flash would reach as well and shading was out of the question too. I do think you can try to tone the lighter area a bit now in PP'ing and perhaps lighten the shadow side......comp wise this was nicely handled and the water color is fantastic!.....so worth trying a few tweaks to try and take it up a notch or 2!

Yes, 400mm without a tube. Can't recall now if no flash was because I decided it wouldn't go that far, or just forgot to turn it on - probably the latter because even a little direct light would have helped.

I did some of what you suggest - Soft Light (probably ~30%) on all but the reflected flower and Screen (fuzzy memory, but probably ~50%) on the reflection. I also did Curves on some of the brightest areas of the petals on the left side of the flower.

Jonathan Ashton
08-20-2010, 02:40 AM
I think it is a lovely shot I like the contrasting light but my first reaction was similar to Roman's i.e. suggest tone down the lights and lighten the darks - but not a great deal because I like the contrast.

Anita Bower
08-21-2010, 04:08 PM
Lovely composition, color, focus, details. Very nicely handled. As others have written, the harsh light was challenging, but I think you handled it well. All you need to do now is go back to Longwood Gardens on an overcast day. ;)