PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Egret

Michael Hogan
08-18-2010, 02:42 PM
This was taken in Merritt Island Florida last October. the original image was not great and I was going to bin it but I just tried this crop (about 50%) and I thought this might be work keeping. Am I clutching at straws and should I go back to the day job ;).

All comments appreciated

Michael

Randy Stout
08-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Michael:

Several points to be made here. The biggest one has to do with the lighting on the bird. It came from well to the left and behind the bird somewhat, which has left much of the bird in shadow, caused some blown out areas where it did strike.
The tousled top is neat.
For a reflection type image to work, you generally need more of the reflection in frame. it looks like it was sharp enough to work, but probably just not enough of it.

I appreciate trying interesting crops to save an image, but I am just not sure this one will fly.

Keep working it!

Cheers

Randy

Robert O'Toole
08-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Like the feathers.

Good job working with the tough conditions. There are problems, side light, framing etc. Agree with Randy, if you show a reflection you should show more not just the bill.

Arthur Morris
08-18-2010, 08:28 PM
In addition to the above, I would add that it looks as if it needs a bit of CW rotation, possibly until the bill is perpendicular to the ground. And the BKGR is a bit distracting. I do like that you have some light on the eye even though it is shaded.

Michael Hogan
08-19-2010, 02:18 AM
Randy, Robert & Arthur, Thanks for the comments. I agree with most but the aspect of the image that made me not discard it after the crop was the lighting - the brightness behind, especially behind the crest and the shadows to the right.

Maybe I'm like a parent and their child - there has to be something good about them :)

Thanks Again

Michael