PDA

View Full Version : Strom rising over Saddlestring

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
08-17-2010, 05:29 PM
I took this image several years ago and I liked the color version of it, but I like the B&W version better. I was wondering what everyone thought. Is it a good conversion? Thanks for any coments. Shooting data below:
Nikon D2X
24-120mm @ 85mm
85mm (in 35mm film)
1/800 sec, f/9
Mode: Av
Metering: Multi-segment
ISO: 200
White balance: Auto
Flash: Off
File size: 194MB
Image size: 3872 x 2576
Color space: sRGB
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Contrast: Normal
Color profile: sRGB

Roman Kurywczak
08-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Hey Mac,
Comp wise I think you did OK.....although I would prefer to have the road more offset but I am OK where it is right now. I do think the post on the LLC has to go and looking at it overall.....perhaps stright up from the P in your sig.....to keep more focus on the range. As for the B&W conversion......The whites on the rock faces appears a bit too bright whie the rest is just a bit too grey. Some more black in the trees and perhaps tweaking the cloud a bit with a bit more contrast (watch the whites) will help the tonal range. I like the choice here for conversion and tweaks will help take this up a notch.

Nick Palmieri
08-18-2010, 01:25 PM
It sort of has an infrared feeling to it. I am going to post a IR image in a few...I like the composition and Romans suggestions would improve it, I think it needs a slight punch of contrast. I wondering what conversion methods you are using. Are you converting in ARAW or Photoshop or filters???

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
08-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Hi all, Here is the image that I hope reflects the changes you all thought would help. I am not sure that I like the crop on the left side as it centers the cloud more than I like it to be. The road is now no longer in the center and I agree that this is better. I added some black to the image and selectively darkened rock face. To answer the question as to what I used to convert it to black and white, I used NIK Silver Efex Pro. Thanks for the help and let me know what you think.

Robert Amoruso
08-18-2010, 05:53 PM
Mac,

I know that the repost is more what I had in mind when I first looked and before reading Roman's comments which I agree with. I like the repost.