Av mode
.6"
F32
ISO:100
LR & CS3
Tripod
BG is white foam core.
Natural window light.

Did some extra blurring on the back flower stalk.

Norm Dulak
08-17-2010, 03:49 PM
Ken:

The in-focus flower stalk is interesting but could IMO stand a bit of contrast enhancement. And rather than intentionally blurring the other stalk, I'd clone it out, since I find it distracting and not a positive contributor to the overall image.:)

Norm

Jonathan Ashton
08-18-2010, 02:08 AM
Nice idea Ken, I think maybe three stems with seed heads would have made for a better composition, my first reaction was similar to Norm's i.e. a bit more contrast to enhance detail, but if that was achieved I think it would not compliment the background so well, it may appear rather stark. So for me I like the colours and contrast but three heads would look better - I am sure you or Jules or Roman would be able to suggest a good composition with an odd number of seed heads, whether some or all are in focus would make for interesting interpretation.

Roman Kurywczak
08-18-2010, 09:47 AM
Hey Ken,
I try to avoid 2 subject comps......3 does look more pleasing most of the time.......but in some cases it works with 2.....and for me it does in this case! Shocking I know:2eyes2:! I am debating the brightness however.....not so much contrast......but perhaps going down a few points to reveal the edges of the front bloom some more. I often times find I like the BG.......even if it isn't pure white......just some things to try out. I know it isn't everyones cup of tea.....but this one does work for me and a few tweaks will only improve it in my eyes! Remember to put a thin border around it too to avoid the bleeding into the BG of BPN.

Ken Childs
08-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Thanks, all for the comments and suggestions.
I went with the 2 flower heads because that's how this plant grows. There are 2 flowers widely separated on a V shaped stem.

I remembered the black border after I made the post. :o

Anita Bower
08-18-2010, 10:30 AM
Love it! Wonderful white bg and soft colors. I like the lower contrast. You elevated a little grass to something beautiful.

Jonathan Ashton
08-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Ken I showed my ignorance on the 2 flowers per plant... but you could always capture two flowers from one and one from another!!:)

Ken Childs
08-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Ken I showed my ignorance on the 2 flowers per plant... but you could always capture two flowers from one and one from another!!:)
No worries! When I'm shooting inside, it isn't really all that natural anyway. ;)

Daniel Cadieux
08-19-2010, 09:44 AM
I'm really digging the composition on this one, Ken. My only issue, as with a few already commented, is with the contrast and/or brightness issue of the flowers. All-in-all I really like this.

Julie Kenward
08-21-2010, 04:04 PM
What a beauty, Ken! As Roman said, three is usually better than 2 but I love this. They both mirror each other beautifully and you did a wonderful job of framing them perfectly. I'd also suggest a softer touch to the brightness of the front flower but love everything else about this one. ;)