PDA

View Full Version : Bees, and Deer Flies

Cory Bucher
08-17-2010, 11:29 AM
Yes a weird topic. Any suggestions on how to avoid these insects? Sprays, oders to wear? Any advise would be appreciated. Seems everytime I am photographing Birds and such I am being chased around the woods from these nasty little creatures. Had a deer fly bite me a couple days ago, luckily for me I spotted it sitting on my arm before it had a chance to really dig in.

Jamie Strickland
08-17-2010, 11:43 AM
I have never found anything that seems to work on these darn things, such a nuisance for sure !

I don't know how many times I have swiped at one and frightened the subject :(

Cory Bucher
08-17-2010, 11:50 PM
Jamie: Thank you for your reply.

Roger Clark
08-18-2010, 12:12 AM
Cory,
Where are bees a problem? Flies I can see (no solution except wear long pants and long sleeved shirts).

Roger

Roy Priest
08-18-2010, 01:17 AM
Bees should not be a problem unless you are near the hive. You can buy deer fly patches that you put on the back of your hat.

Daniel Cadieux
08-18-2010, 06:50 AM
As Roger says, the best solution is long sleeved shirts and pants. I've also found that wearing scented hygiene products seems to attract the annoying type of insects. I'm not saying don't shower for three days, but I try to avoid those products when going out in the field. Bees don't go looking for trouble unless provoked or on the defensive, so I just ignore them unless I'm close to a hive.

James Shadle
08-18-2010, 09:26 AM
Bees IMO are not an issue. However, Deer Flies and Horse Flies are another story!

DEET, DEET, DEET! Be careful Deet will dissolve plastic and is a great paint remover.

Cutter Advanced has Picaridin (7.5% and 15%) as the active ingredient.
It was introduced to me several years ago by my pal Jason Hahn. I used it in Fakahatchee Stand during the summer and it works!

Unlike DEET, which is a solvent, Picaridin won't damage synthetic materials if you touch them with it on your skin.

Cory Bucher
08-18-2010, 09:40 AM
WOW, thanks everyone for the replies. Wasn't expecting this many but appreciate it. Yes Bees aren't really the problem but the deer flies love to fly around my head and then dive bomb in my ears. Not sure if long sleeves is going to be the best solution for me because of the heat but will try anyway to see how it goes. James thank you for the suggestions with the Picaridin.

James Shadle
08-18-2010, 11:28 AM
James thank you for the suggestions with the Picaridin.

My pleasure. I know how miserable they can bee;).

James Campbell
08-30-2010, 09:12 PM
here a tip, deerflys love to land on your head, check this link out.........http://www.flypatch.com...,..... .........hope this helps....james campbell