PDA

View Full Version : Another Water Lily

Jay Sheinfield
08-17-2010, 10:18 AM
Simple centered comp......... a bit over sharp in the upload, will fix.

Nikon D3s
280mm
1/250sec @ f/18
ISO 400

Comments welcome.......................

Roman Kurywczak
08-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Hey Jay,
While a central comp may not work most of the time.....it does seem to work in this case as the center is offset slightly lower.....and works symmetrically. I would definitely bring up the dark central petal at the top......and seriously consider digital removal of the lower petal in the water...as it is the only one clipped. I have faced a similar situation with these.....and the inclusion of them has just seemed out of place as well because of the angle......removal is the best way to go IMO and then you can crop a bit more off.....dropping the center even more. Just some food for thought as the light was handled well.

Ken Childs
08-17-2010, 03:29 PM
This variety of lily is getting a lot of exposure here in the macro forum!

I agree that the comp works well with this particular flower. You could remove that lower petal or maybe even make it thinner so it looks like a stem. That's what I thought it was when I first looked at this shot. :)

Jonathan Ashton
08-18-2010, 02:26 AM
Beautiful image, I am avidly reading Roman's & Kens comments and I can add nothing other than to say I like the image very much. The black background works well though for some reason it always makes me wonder is it natural - was it really that dark? I suspect it may well have been but it always makes me wonder - I don't know why.:)

Jay Sheinfield
08-18-2010, 05:09 AM
the original frame was about 20% black with some dark bluish water hue, light reflections from the sky. This time I went to black BG for the effect and to eliminate sky reflections in the water. I can achieve the same effect with a polarizer, which I didn't have with me this time.