PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Mud

Morkel Erasmus
08-17-2010, 09:43 AM
Something abstract from me for a change...this perspective is nothing new, so this is just one of my takes on it...

Taken in the Kruger Park on an overcast day in December 2009...

Robert Amoruso
08-17-2010, 10:18 AM
Nice work. I think a bit more room at the bottom for the tusk would be nice but that would make the bright triangular area (light showing between trunk and leg) more prominent which would not be preferable.

Like my bear image you commented on, a good compromise IMO. I like this one a lot. :)

Hendri Venter
08-17-2010, 02:01 PM
Wonderful image Morkel. Great texture and the B&W conversion suits this very much,

Andrew Merwin
08-17-2010, 02:21 PM
I like this a lot Morkel. It has a wonderful texture that I can almost feel in my finger tips. Based on the size of the tusk, am I correct in assuming that this is a young elephant?
Andrew

Morkel Erasmus
08-17-2010, 03:28 PM
thanks a lot guys, glad you like it...

Robert - I framed it specifically to cut out as much of the bright part and fill the frame with elephant without cutting off the tusk, so you called my thinking here spot on :)

Andrew - I think this one is still young but he was definitely a full-grown bull, maybe 5 years from his prime in my estimation. The tusk is broken off so it's difficult to gauge how big it was, but it's not very thick.

Andrew Merwin
08-17-2010, 05:24 PM
thanks a lot guys, glad you like it...

Andrew - I think this one is still young but he was definitely a full-grown bull, maybe 5 years from his prime in my estimation. The tusk is broken off so it's difficult to gauge how big it was, but it's not very thick.

Thanks Morkel. I thought the tusk looked broken, but was unsure. Does the tusk grow back or will live with a broken tusk his entire life? If it stays broken, how does it affect his life?
Andrew

Morkel Erasmus
08-17-2010, 05:27 PM
Andrew, sadly the tusk won't grow back. It's not like a rhino's horn which is basically a large clump of compressed hair and grows back...it's an actual tooth.

As far as I know (and I'm no expert) it will only affect his life if it breaks off at the root which will cause it to be in pain and he will be unable to use it to dig for roots etc. But without a tusk technically he'll be able to eat, drink and live normally. Maybe he won't get "lucky" often since he needs them to fight for the attention of the ladies ;)

Andrew Merwin
08-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Thanks Morkel. :cheers:

Deborah Harrison
08-17-2010, 06:53 PM
Nice black and white conversion, really conveys the texture of the skin
Did you use a specific program for the conversion or do it in PS?

Marc Mol
08-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Like this Morkel, a suitable B&W contender.
I think however, you could still extract some more detail in the lower right shadow area, as it looks quite dark on my cal monitor.
TFS

Hilary Hann
08-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Morkel, I understood that the tusk grows from the root and that it will continue to grow just like any elephant whose tusks grow from birth to adult hood. Elephants replace their grinding teeth as well, until they lose their last set, and then they starve. So I would think this tusk will slowly grow but will always have the broken end. As you say though, if it is broken at the root then it won't grow back.

All that aside, I've always liked this type of treatment of elephants as their colour and skin texture lends itself to this treatment. I like the image as presented very much.

Rachel Hollander
08-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Beautiful image Morkel. I like the conversion and the texture of the trunk and ear.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
08-18-2010, 04:39 AM
thanks for the comments guys...

Hilary - I understand it that way as well, but this bloke was definitely a fully grown adult so I doubt his tusks will get much longer having broken off...

here is one with lightened dark patch bottom RHC