PDA

View Full Version : Caddis fly larva (?)

Jonathan Ashton
08-17-2010, 04:28 AM
Camera Model Canon EOS 7D
Firmware Firmware Version 1.2.1
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 6
Av( Aperture Value ) 11.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation +1/3
ISO Speed 320
Lens EF180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
Image Quality RAW
Flash On
Flash Type External E-TTL
E-TTL II flash metering Evaluative flash metering
Flash Exposure Compensation +1 1/3
Shutter curtain sync 1st-curtain sync
White Balance Mode Auto
AF Mode Manual focusing

I have been playing with my little tanks again! I'm not too sure what this is but my guess is a caddis fly larva. I placed a little gravel in the bottom and then I realised that to make it look a little bit realistic you cannot afford to have the gravel resting against the front of the tank - it looks flat! :2eyes2: I did a bit of patching to make it look more believable, I think the ideal solution is to have a very thin layer at the front and gradually build it up as it recedes. ;)
All C&C welcome.

Norm Dulak
08-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Jonathan:

This is a most interesting subject that you have captured with your camera!:) But although I like your image as posted, IMHO it could be improved a bit by lightening the critter and darkening the substrate upon which it rests. One embodiment of this suggestion is shown in this re-post, in which, with your indulgence, I've applied PS CS5 S&H.

There is a bit of a halo around parts of the critter that could be eliminated if one were ambitious.:D

Norm

Jonathan Ashton
08-17-2010, 10:17 AM
Iorm - I prefer the repost, I originally had a similar image but I looked at the Histogram and noticed how far the Black slider was to the left, it is a case of really posting what looks better as opposed to posting something that should look better!!

Roman Kurywczak
08-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Hey Jonathan,
This is very cool! I agree the critter could go lighter and the FG darker.....but stil and interesting looking subject and the comp is very good. I do think you are on the right track as far as tapering the pebbles....great idea! You really need to be careful with that histogram.....I'd imagine it would be tough....but I have faith in your persistence and I applaud your efforts for shring this unseen world with us!

Steve Maxson
08-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Hi Jonathan. This is actually a mayfly nymph (Order Ephemeroptera). The 3 "tails" and the external gills along the side of the abdomen give it away. :) Nice sharpness and DOF. I think Norm's repost with with a brighter insect is an improvement. If this was mine, I would clone out a lot of the small white spots (backscatter) in the background. Keep them coming.

Ken Childs
08-17-2010, 03:25 PM
Definitely a cool subject! I agree it needs to be lightened up but for my tastes I wouldn't go as bright as Norm did.

The BG bothers me the most about this shot. It looks like water stained glass which I'm assuming it is. Clean glass would be great and try setting the tank somewhere where it will have a nice OOF BG. When I used to do fish photography, I would use those photo aquarium BG's you buy by the foot. Placing one of those a ways behind the tank might give a realistic look to these photos.

John Chardine
08-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Hi Jonathan. This is actually a mayfly nymph (Order Ephemeroptera). The 3 "tails" and the external gills along the side of the abdomen give it away. :) Nice sharpness and DOF. I think Norm's repost with with a brighter insect is an improvement. If this was mine, I would clone out a lot of the small white spots (backscatter) in the background. Keep them coming.

Good call Steve. Caddisfly larva (most/all) make cases to live in out of little sticks, gravel etc. Not sure what bodily fluid they use to stick all this together. I like Norm's repost which shows more detail and the colour pops. Nice low angle Jonathan- not so difficult when you are shooting a tank I guess!