PDA

View Full Version : Relatively better spot 2 photograph wildlife- August

Prasanna Ravindranath
08-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Warm wishes to all photographers, I'm getting a week of forced vacation starting next week (22-28 Aug), planning to spend time worthwhile in bird photography. I'm looking for "Relatively good place to wildlife photography (USA) in the month of August", the reason I mentioned relatively, the forums/websites that browsed indicated me July-August is not a good season for birders.

Your suggestion and tips are welcomed. This is my first post to this forum and I'm greedy to seek help. Plz excuse.

I live in Milwaukee, WI and I use Nikon 400mm f2.8 VR + TC

Prasanna Ravindranath
08-16-2010, 10:31 PM
Adding some of my observations
Hot spot - Best time of the year
1. Horicon Marsh - Nov - Dec & March
2. YNP - Oct - Nov
3. Anhinga Trail, FL - End of Feb
4. Magee Marsh,OH - Mid Apr - May
5. Lock and Dam 13 on the Mississippi River - Dec - Feb
6. lamingo (Everglades, FL) - photograph ospreys (mid of Feb)
7. Venice Rookery (FL) - nesting birds, mid of feb
8. Other places in FL (including most fav everglades ) - Nov - June

thanks,
PR.

Dave Blinder
08-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Sandy Hook and Cape May (both in NJ) are great spots for bird photography in all seasons. Lots of sandpipers and plovers on the beaches right now. http://www.birdcapemay.org/ http://www.njaudubon.org/SectionCenters/SectionSHBO/Introduction.aspx

Jeff Parker
08-18-2010, 09:47 PM
If you can take the heat, South Texas waterholes are busy this time of year.

Prasanna Ravindranath
08-20-2010, 01:01 PM
Thanks Dave & Jeff, finally decided with ME,VT & NH area for the next week. Special thanks to Mark Fuge who provided special tips. The only thing that worries me, i'm late for the puffin trip to Machias Seal Island. Anway hope rest of the oppty turns out good.

Myer Bornstein
08-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Look to the shore line from Massachusetts on up for migrating shore birds. Spent part of Wednesday with a marbled godwit in Westport Mass. To soon for foliage in NH and Vt

Prasanna Ravindranath
09-01-2010, 03:01 PM
thanks Myer, yup as you mentioned i did photograph some shore birds in Parker NWR & cape cod. Other place that i photograph was moose in Baxter state park, ME. On a whole the trip was awesome. Thanks all for your suggestion.
Will share pics soon.

Myer Bornstein
09-01-2010, 03:05 PM
I am glad you had a productive trip looking foward to seeing the images