PDA

View Full Version : Roman Lily

Douglas Bolt
08-16-2010, 06:05 AM
Canon 5D, 400DO, M, f16, 1/200s, ISO400, tripod, flash. Removed a couple of distractions on RS and several floaters on water and several specular highlights (it was with the 400DO!). Sharpened the lily. Cropped a little.

Captured at Roman and Denise's macro workshop at Longwood Gardens Aug. 14.

denise ippolito
08-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Douglas, It was a pleasure to meet you on Saturday. I am not seeing the image however.

Douglas Bolt
08-16-2010, 11:09 AM
Douglas, It was a pleasure to meet you on Saturday. I am not seeing the image however.

Thanks, Denise. I appreciate the attention that you and Roman devoted to the group. Very helpful morning.
I uploaded the file to BPN. Previously, it was a link at another site. Maybe this one will be visible.

doug

denise ippolito
08-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Doug, I can see it now and it is lovely. Good job with the composition. It wasn't easy given some of the angles etc. I like the way you controlled the lighting with the flash. A couple of very little things. The left side is a tiny bit tight. I might crop a little from the bottom to make the distance from the edge to the reflection the same as the distance at the top from the top bud to the edge.(hope I didn't talk in circles) If it were mine I'd eliminate(with the clone/patch tool0 the fold area in the red at the top of the frame. Again great job and it was very nice to meet you. I am looking forward to more of your images.:)

Douglas Bolt
08-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Doug, I can see it now and it is lovely. Good job with the composition. It wasn't easy given some of the angles etc. I like the way you controlled the lighting with the flash. A couple of very little things. The left side is a tiny bit tight. I might crop a little from the bottom to make the distance from the edge to the reflection the same as the distance at the top from the top bud to the edge.(hope I didn't talk in circles) If it were mine I'd eliminate(with the clone/patch tool0 the fold area in the red at the top of the frame. Again great job and it was very nice to meet you. I am looking forward to more of your images.:)

Thanks, Denise. I agree with your suggestions, especially cropping some from the bottom and adding space on the left (there is room on the left). Generally, I like to keep an image to one of the standard ratios, at least at the beginning. A tighter crop on the bottom caused the floor of the lily leaf to show. But, a bit of a pano display should address the points you raised.

Thanks again for you help on Sat and for your suggestions today.

Roman Kurywczak
08-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Hey Douglas,
Greetings from Miami! Great advice given by Denise and you did well with the tough light we had. I'd be tempted to remove the 2 buds on the right above the blooms......but doesn't affect it too much. Really nice putting a name to the face and looking forward to more!

Douglas Bolt
08-16-2010, 05:01 PM
Hey Douglas,
Greetings from Miami! Great advice given by Denise and you did well with the tough light we had. I'd be tempted to remove the 2 buds on the right above the blooms......but doesn't affect it too much. Really nice putting a name to the face and looking forward to more!

Yes! Same here, and thanks for co-leading a very informative workshop.

I will post a Denise lily as soon as permitted. Well, maybe a softer Roman lily would be a more accurate description. My attempts at the softer, sweater images came up a little short, IMO. But, I'll keep trying because I want to learn how to create images more Denise-like. More hang on the wall type images.

Have fun in Miami.

Anita Bower
08-17-2010, 06:56 PM
The colors of the flowers are lovely. Nice reflection. In addition to Denise's suggestion of cloning out that very top red, I would darken the light brown leaf that is at about 9 o'clock, and the bud and reflection coming out near it. That would keep my eye focused on the beautiful flowers.

Douglas Bolt
08-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Thanks, Anita. I debated about cloning out the "dip" in the margin of the leaf, but didn't. But, I thought it might make the top look too much like a wall with little relationship to the flower. I'll go back and see what the image looks like with it removed.. It obviously is a negative to critical viewers.