PDA

View Full Version : Flying Insect

Dave Leroy
08-15-2010, 10:43 PM
This one looks like it needs to be in the Calgary Stampede.
50D, 100mm f2.8 macro, 1/50, f/8, Av, ISO800.

I took it a couple weeks ago and sat on it wondering about the bright green in bg.

Dave

kostas nianiopoulos
08-16-2010, 02:36 AM
this is looks pretty good Dave for my taste , the only thing maybe could change is a tightter crop , from the bottom more i guess . well done .

Charissa
08-16-2010, 05:01 AM
Ditto the crop. Lovely detail captured, and the BG don,t bother me. Lovely shot.

Ken Childs
08-16-2010, 10:51 AM
Dave, that bright green stripe is a distraction to me but you should be able to tone it down. I don't think it will take much to take it away as a serious distraction.

Is this a big crop? The noise in the BG looks extra large. :)

Roman Kurywczak
08-16-2010, 03:50 PM
Hey Dave,
Pretty cool! I am ok with the DOF.....you were pushing it as much as you could and the sharpness is where you need it. I too am not a big fan of the brighter green.......but I do think you can lessen its impact.

Dave Leroy
08-16-2010, 07:31 PM
I am glad I came back and reread the comments. I had tried to remove the green stripe and blew it. I see the suggestions are to tone it down so will have a go at that later.

Ken, it is about 60% of full frame size so am not sure about noise. I do run NR from CS4.

I also like the bit of a crop off the bottom.

Dave

Steve Maxson
08-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Hi Dave. Your insect is a type of fly (the visible haltere - the rudimentary back wing - is your key), though I can't say that I've seen one like this before. I really like the pose and would wish for a little more DOF on the front legs. The green stripe doesn't bother me too much - it does bring your eye to the head of the fly. Toning it down a bit would likely be an improvement. I like the comp, as presented, but agree that a crop from the bottom would be a nice alternative. :)

Dave Leroy
08-17-2010, 05:14 PM
Thanks Steve.