PDA

View Full Version : Chipmunk

Ravi Hirekatur
08-15-2010, 10:35 PM
This is my first post.
I took this photo in my backyard while waiting for birds in a blind. Critiques and comments welcome
Canon 30D + 300/2.8 + 1.4x
f5.6, 1/160, ISO 800
ACR - Clarity, vibrance, sharpen and NR
CS4 - smart sharpen
70% of original image
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CRAVIHI%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5 Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->© Ravi Hirekatur

Lance Peters
08-15-2010, 11:09 PM
Hi Ravi - big warm welcome to the BPN family - Nice first post.

Cute little guy!! Composition works for me - Like the direct eye contact.
Think you could coax some more detail out of the little guy - I added some selective sharpening to him - Probably dont want as much as I have done - But have left it like this so you can easily see the difference.
Might also desaturate the BG a little - IN P.S. - Hue/Saturation - Greens - adjust the saturation and lightness sliders to adjust.

Looking forward to seeing more.

PS - I also mage one other change - who can spot it!!

Dave Leroy
08-15-2010, 11:15 PM
I like the composition and how the little guy has a catch light in both eyes.

Good job by Lance on the repost, although I think both have a bit of a green colour cast.

Well done.

Lance Peters
08-15-2010, 11:23 PM
I like the composition and how the little guy has a catch light in both eyes.

Good job by Lance on the repost, although I think both have a bit of a green colour cast.

Well done.

HI Dave - was still working on the colour cast as you posted your comment :) And the answer was - Does have a green colour cast!!

Dave Leroy
08-15-2010, 11:28 PM
Ooops. :D

Other than recognizing cc's, I am not too sure what causes them, and perhaps in this one by the green foliage.

Dave

Lance Peters
08-15-2010, 11:38 PM
Ooops. :D

Other than recognizing cc's, I am not too sure what causes them, and perhaps in this one by the green foliage.

Dave

Think you might be correct there - reflected light from the foliage in this case - IMHO.

Arthur Morris
08-16-2010, 02:29 PM
I like the original post (Velvia) and the sharper repost (Kodachrome). I like the perch, the pose, and the wrap-around tail. And the BKGR. I would prefer that the squirrel be looking right down the lens barrel.

Don Hamilton Jr.
08-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Welcome Ravi, very nice first post! Perhaps a bit more detail sharpening. Love your BKG.
Don

Ravi Hirekatur
08-18-2010, 09:52 PM
Thanks Lance, Artie, Dave and Don for your comments. I am embarassed to ask this as my PS skills are very basic: Lance, how did you get the details and how did you selectively sharpen? And I didn't get the other change you made. I like the repost better, except that I would desaturate a little less. Still having withdrawals from velvia. I am learning a lot just by browsing this forum.
Ravi

Lance Peters
08-19-2010, 03:32 AM
Thanks Lance, Artie, Dave and Don for your comments. I am embarassed to ask this as my PS skills are very basic: Lance, how did you get the details and how did you selectively sharpen? And I didn't get the other change you made. I like the repost better, except that I would desaturate a little less. Still having withdrawals from velvia. I am learning a lot just by browsing this forum.
Ravi

Hi Ravi - I would only recommend you sharpen selectively - you dont necessarily want to sharpen the Background.

I have attached a screenshot --the arrow points to the quick selection tool - click on the image and drag over the subject - there are many ways to make a selection and refine it - this is just a quick and dirty method - then you will get the marching ants lines around the subject - this is the selection - so now if you goto FILTERS - UNSHARP MASK and apply it - it will only affect the area inside of the marching ants border.

See this thread for sharpening info
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?18534-Important-Sharpening-Information!

Many different methods of sharpening - I use Genuine Fractals with a set of Actions by Noel Carboni.

Arthur Morris
08-19-2010, 04:00 AM
Thanks Lance, Artie, Dave and Don for your comments. I am embarassed to ask this as my PS skills are very basic: Lance, how did you get the details and how did you selectively sharpen? And I didn't get the other change you made. I like the repost better, except that I would desaturate a little less. Still having withdrawals from velvia. I am learning a lot just by browsing this forum. Ravi

Hi Ravi, YAW. I would suggest getting a copy of our Digital Basics file; it was made for you. I loved Velvia but have gown to wish that I had never heard the word film :)

You can learn all about Digital Basics by clicking here (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=252).