PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Incoming!

Julie__K
08-15-2010, 06:36 PM
Hi all, I finally worked up courage to stop lurking and post :o

Took this at Bolsa Chica last month during Doug Brown's workshop. I'm a newbie to birds but am thoroughly hooked.

Thanks for any comments/critique.

http://www.pbase.com/image/126851407/large.jpg

400mm, ISO 400, f/5.6, 1/1250s

Lance Peters
08-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Hi Julie - Big warm welcome to BPN - do not hesitate to jump right in and leave comments on other peoples images - no better or faster way to improve your own skills. All we ask is that you say what it is you like or dont like about the image.
Difficult one for a first post - BIF - Head on flying directly at the camera.

Will reserve my comments until others have had a chance - will be back.

Pls do include your full shooting info - enables us to offer better advice. - IM A IDIOT - there it is below the photo.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
08-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Julie,

Greetings. Welcome to BPN... The colors are particularly attractive & sharp focus on the head. Perhaps, a bit more dof would have brought the wings more in focus. Don't know the camera but higher iso if you could to keep ss up...

Looking forward to seeing more...

Cheers,

-Michael-

Julie__K
08-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the comments Michael. I will have to remember to increase dof in other cases like this. I have to admit I was having a hard enough time just keeping the bird centered and trying to get the proper exposure that I kind of fell down on thinking about dof and the like :o

I was using a Canon 7D - up until I started shooting birds I didn't mind upping the ISO so much, but now - yikes!

Julie__K
08-17-2010, 01:51 PM
And I'd really appreciate anyone else commenting and I'd especially like to hear your thoughts Lance. I can't improve
if I don't know what's wrong, so please, tell me!

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
08-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Julie,

Greetings. Just so you know... you hit an unusually quiet period in this forum... it will pick up again.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Julie__K
08-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Thanks again Michael - I was wondering a bit. I'll be posting some more images soon and am looking forward to more advice.