Flash On
Flash Type External E-TTL
E-TTL II flash metering Evaluative flash metering
Flash Exposure Compensation -1 2/3
Shutter curtain sync 1st-curtain sync
White Balance Mode Auto
AF Mode AI Servo AF
AF area select mode Spot AF

I will be interested to see if you like the colours and processing, previously my colour space has been sRGB and I had the initial setting in Adobe RAW for Sharpen for Screen, now I have colour space Adobe and no initial sharpening. Previously I had been using 16 bit processing with sRGB which I understand was pretty much a waste of time. This is 8 bit Adobe and auto converted to sRGB by CS4 and I just cannot see any difference at all. I am now going to do a 16 bit Adobe to see if I can convince myself I can see a difference visually as opposed to checking the histogram which obviously can show a difference.
All comments welcome.

Jonathan Ashton
08-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Her is the same image processed similarly except that it is at 16 bit as opposed to 8 bit - can you see a difference?

Paul Lagasi
08-15-2010, 04:04 PM
Jonathan, I downloaded both images, did a side by side comparison in CS4. Got my wife and daughter to have a look...couldn't see a difference, although, I like you could almost convince my self there was.
Nice capture and colors, sharp and decent background ....well done

denise ippolito
08-15-2010, 07:05 PM
I can't see a difference either. Fantastic sharp details and lovely composition. The BG colors are complimentary and nice. I might sharpen the tips of the antennae just a tiny bit. Excellent!!

Dave Leroy
08-15-2010, 10:55 PM
Before I read Paul and Denise's posts I would have said the second was a tad lighter, but as Paul mentioned, perhaps I was looking too hard.

I really like the composition and position of bf on the grass.

Lovely photo either way.

Ken Childs
08-16-2010, 10:26 AM
We're going to have to start calling these Jonathan Blues. :D

Another beauty, Jon! There is noticeable fringing on the 8 bit when compared to the 16 bit but the colors look the same.

Jonathan Ashton
08-16-2010, 11:28 AM
We're going to have to start calling these Jonathan Blues. :D

Another beauty, Jon! There is noticeable fringing on the 8 bit when compared to the 16 bit but the colors look the same.
Thanks for the observation Ken, is the fringing on the tip of the antennae - because I did an extra round of sharpening on the tips using a quick mas on the final image - otherwise the processing was the same. - Also were you looking at actual image size e.g. pressing F11 or were you "looking harder?"

Ken Childs
08-16-2010, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the observation Ken, is the fringing on the tip of the antennae - because I did an extra round of sharpening on the tips using a quick mas on the final image - otherwise the processing was the same. - Also were you looking at actual image size e.g. pressing F11 or were you "looking harder?"I was looking at actual sized images. It's most obvious on the antennae and the edges of the grass. I put both images in the same folder and opened the first with the Windows photo viewer and then switched back and forth between images by using the right and left arrows keys. When comparing different edits of the same image or similar images, this works best for me.

Roman Kurywczak
08-16-2010, 03:44 PM
Hey Jonathan,
Love the comp and colors.....i thought second one was brighter too....but looking closer....probably no. Nice catch by Ken.......but doesn't detract from this one.....Very well Done!:cheers:

Anita Bower
08-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Lovely! Beautiful details, composition, colors and BG.

Art Kornienko
08-25-2010, 07:34 PM
BG and lighting are stunning a bit more room on the right would be my peference.