PDA

View Full Version : Cloudless Sulphur

David Gancarz
08-15-2010, 02:15 PM
A female cloudless sulphur ovipositing on one of it host plants, a butterfly cassia. Nikon D300 w/ 70-300 AFS zoom @ 270mm, ISO 250, f/8, 1/500. Cropped slightly and removed distracting leave at bottom of frame. I like the figure of the cassia leaves following the butterfly up and to the left.

denise ippolito
08-15-2010, 07:00 PM
David, The BG is mildly distracting. I think you did a good job considering the slightly mixed lighting. I might tone down the BF just a tiny bit if it were mine. Nice sharp details.

Dave Leroy
08-15-2010, 11:00 PM
Good for you to see and capture the action.

I think a crop off bottom would get more attention on the bf.

I like the nice and sharp paper like look to the wings.

Ken Childs
08-16-2010, 10:21 AM
David, the BG is somewhat distracting and the light looks a bit harsh but it's a shot I definitely would have taken myself. As an environmental/behavioral shot it looks great!

Your Cloudless Sulphurs sure look different from what I get up here. Is this color normal or unusual for your area?

Roman Kurywczak
08-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Hey David,
I agree that the light is a bit harsh and be careful about mixed light.....really plays havoc with your subjects. I know that you can't choose where they land or how quick they move around....but choosing a BG angle should be something you try first......just food for thought next time out.

Anita Bower
08-17-2010, 05:31 AM
Nice capture. I like the curve of the branch. Nice details on the butterfly. I might crop a bit off the bottom. You might be able to tone down the light areas in the bg if so inclined. Thanks for sharing.