PDA

View Full Version : Denali as seen from Reflection Pond

Tim Rucci
08-14-2010, 08:56 PM
While camping in Denali National Park a couple weeks ago, I was fortunate to have a crystal clear evening and morning which enabled me to get some images of Mt McKinley complete with its reflection in the water. This image was shot at 5:01am, about 7 minutes before the sunrise started to illuminate the top portion of the mountain. We had gotten up at 3am and hiked 2.5 miles with all our gear in order to get to this pond in time for the best light of the day. I also have some images with the top of the mountain lit by the sun, but I think I like the colors of this one best of all.

Details: Canon 40d, 17-40L lens, 1/50 at f5, iso 400 hand-held.

Roman Kurywczak
08-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Hey Tim,
You didn't go out there with Ken did you?........I think you did very well for f5....colors look really sweet in the predawn light.......but tell him next time I'm going to make you 2 bring a tripod! Theise colors might be even more intense with the longer exposure! All in all.....you composed this very well and the light is sweet!
PS.....I've got to tell him I want a moose in the LR ROT position for next year!:cheers:

Dave Mills
08-14-2010, 11:06 PM
Hi Tim, Agree that the colors are beautiful with good detail in the mountains.You did well at F5 probably because the image was a long way off and there was nothing in the foreground. If you decided on adding foreground interest it would of been difficult getting it all sharp. I laud your efforts getting the image(and well worth the effort) but I advise you in the future to shoot this with a tripod. HH at 1/50 sec is very risky and with all that effort it's good to have insurance...

Judy Howle
08-15-2010, 11:33 AM
This is a stunning photo. The colors are wonderful!

Robert Amoruso
08-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Great colors and reflection Tim.

Tom Redd
08-16-2010, 07:44 PM
I would be proud of this one. Well done.

Nick Palmieri
08-18-2010, 01:29 PM
Really like the colors and really like the reflection especially where the water ripples sort of divide it. Your hike was well worth it.

David Stephens
08-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Great shot. You were indeed lucky to get a clear view in late July or early August. I was there in mid-July and it showed for maybe thirty-minutes when I was 80-miles away. I was told that was the first time it had shown in two-weeks.

I agree with the tripod and smaller aperture advice. You did well, but this "bucket list" shot deserves a belt and suspenders.

Here's what I got out the bus window: