PDA

View Full Version : Great Point Lighthouse - Nantucket (2)

Clemens Vanderwerf
08-14-2010, 07:39 PM
This is the same lighthouse as the previous post, but now a different composition (vertical). I tried to get the foreground out of focus in order to create a nice yellowish blurred foreground with the grass. The main subject is this time the lighthouse.

The same shooting details as the previous post. Wonder if these work for this type of composition.

Canon 1D Mk IIIs, 125mm, f5.0, 1/2500, EV +2/3, ISO400, handheld

Any comments are highly appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Roman Kurywczak
08-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Hey Clemens,
Actually....IMO this one is much stronger! While I generally don't like muc OOF in the FG.....this one gives the feel of us looking almost through the grass at the lighthouse. Still may tone down the few brightest blades in the FG.....but surprsinigly enough.....even they don't bother me that much.....but may be something you want to try out for yourself. I find this one much more interesting and more effective use of the shallow DOF. Nicely done!

Dave Mills
08-14-2010, 10:57 PM
Hi Clemens. Good light along with nice positioning of the lighthouse. I usually would shoot this at F22 and get the whole image sharp throughout but you took a different approach which I give you credit for attempting.
For my taste I would crop about 25% of the grasses and would also take out the dominant lighter grasses on top. This would even out the blur a bit give full attention to the lighthouse.
The darker clouds on top are framing that area nicely....

Robert Amoruso
08-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Like Roman, I am not too keen on a out of OOF FG but I see what you are trying to do here Clemens and like it. I feel though the image would have been stronger if you had gotten even lower and had the lighthouse coming out of the OOF grass and not the more distance in focus base it is sitting at.

Clemens Vanderwerf
08-15-2010, 06:13 PM
Like Roman, I am not too keen on a out of OOF FG but I see what you are trying to do here Clemens and like it. I feel though the image would have been stronger if you had gotten even lower and had the lighthouse coming out of the OOF grass and not the more distance in focus base it is sitting at.

Robert,
Is there a specific reason why you do not like the OOF FG in your landscape pictures, or is it just a matter of taste? Would be helpful to know if that is a "rule".
I have enclosed another angle where the lighthouse is coming out of the OOF grass, in line with your remark.
Thanks for your comments.

James Shadle
08-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Clemens,
As a general rule I prefer the foreground in focus in landscapes.
IMO an OOF foreground is a distracting element. If the foreground is in focus, it becomes part of the subject.

As Roman mentioned, there are exceptions.

Nick Palmieri
08-18-2010, 01:39 PM
I personally like the oof FG but I know that is not generally accepted by many landscape photographers. I have been looking at a lot of professional landscape photographers portfolios and come to realize that they usually have as much in focus as possible. I like both your posts...I am sure you took one or two at f/22 though...BTW love your Golden Retriever pictures, have 3 myself...

Clemens Vanderwerf
08-18-2010, 01:54 PM
I personally like the oof FG but I know that is not generally accepted by many landscape photographers. I have been looking at a lot of professional landscape photographers portfolios and come to realize that they usually have as much in focus as possible. I like both your posts...I am sure you took one or two at f/22 though...BTW love your Golden Retriever pictures, have 3 myself...

Hi Nick,
Glad you also like to more "painting like" oof FG look of the posts. Ref the Goldens: They are the best! We have two, but the more, the better.