PDA

View Full Version : Red Gladiola

Anita Bower
08-14-2010, 05:17 AM
I find Gladiolas challenging to photograph.
Nikon D300, Sigma 105mm macro, f36 ("relative"), 1/4 sec. ISO 160, live view, indoors, natural light, tripod. PP: PS7 basic adjustments, Denoise, crop sides, add canvas to bottom.

Ken Childs
08-14-2010, 04:05 PM
Anita, i think you did very well with a difficult subject. The reds don't look overblown and they look great with the white BG. I think I'd like this better with either more space on the left and top or less space on the bottom and right.

For the first time since I've lived her (5 years), my unknown bulb looking plant flowered and they were Gladiolas, very much like the variety in your photo. I was excited and planned on taking some inside for a photo shoot. I never did because they never looked "right" for a photo session.

Roman Kurywczak
08-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Hey Anita,
My eyes are a bit tired today after my workshop.....so take this with a grain of salt......but the bottle looks a bit washed out at the bottom.....and making want a bit more depth there. Lets see what others chime in.

Grahame Hamblin
08-14-2010, 05:33 PM
Hey
My thoughts from a novice I would have flipped image added more space on the right and darkened base

Grahane

Dave Leroy
08-14-2010, 05:51 PM
Very nicely done Anita.

I like the hk look.

I might also darken the outlines of the bottle and I think I see a hint of shadow bottom left of bottle which might also add a bit of dimension there if darkened just a bit.

Dave

Julie Kenward
08-15-2010, 08:25 AM
The glads are beautiful, Anita...great job on the reds! I also agree that the bottle gets lost at the bottom - run a slight dark line around that bottle and let the shadow at the bottom come through a tiny bit and I believe you'll have an exquisite photo on your hands.

Charissa
08-16-2010, 05:11 AM
Nice high contrasty image Anita, flowers pop from the all white BG. Don,t know a lot about taking still shots, so no advise from me needed.:)