PDA

View Full Version : Clivia

Dave Mills
08-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Heres one I shot awhile ago. This plant had great presence and I played with different comps but this is the best I could come up with.It's a tight crop since the bottom was a bit beat up. Not quite certain about it and would like other opinions.
Nikon D300,200mm macro,F22,1/60,twin lites,0 comp,tripod mtd

kostas nianiopoulos
08-13-2010, 05:57 PM
The flowers looks sharp , and the colors looks great to my taste , but i wanna ask about the twin flash as i plan to buy one some time , it was diffused ?

Dave Mills
08-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Hi Kostas, I was using the flashes at their default settings. I didn't add or reduce the strength in this case. There wasn't any extra diffuser or add on.
One thing to note. I'm using a 200mm macro which enables me to stand a good distance away from the subject. I'm not on top of it as I would be with a 60 or 105mm.

Anita Bower
08-14-2010, 05:41 AM
The color of these Clivias is striking, especially set against the patterned leaves. Nice sharpness throughout the image. The crop works for me. I think the flash makes the flowers look a bit flat. I would tone down the red a bit. I would darken the leaves on the left side and below the flowers. I'm wondering if less flash would have produced less harsh light.

Ken Childs
08-14-2010, 02:47 PM
Dave, it's a nice subject but the reds do look a bit overdone to me.

I'm inside avoiding the heat so I thought I'd play around with the shot and see what I could come up with. I rotated it CW just a bit, cropped some from the bottom and cloned in the blank areas left by the rotation. I lengthened the bottom stem so it would reach to the edge of the frame. The reds were desaturated just a small amount and the lightness of the reds was lowered 2 points (I think). I think I would have preferred having leaves covering the entire BG or no leaves at all but if this isn't your plant, moving or adjusting the leaves wasn't an option.

Dave Mills
08-14-2010, 03:27 PM
Hi Ken, I usually don't like that tight a crop but in this case I think it helps. I like the way you brought the stems down on the bottom also.
You were right about it not being my plant so I had to make due. Thanks for your efforts...their appreciated...

Roman Kurywczak
08-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Hey Dave,
Yeah....the reds do look a bit bright so you could try a few ways to tone them down.....and Ken is close. I was actually fine with the OP crop wise.....but it may also just be the heat getting to me as I've been out most of the day!

Julie Kenward
08-15-2010, 08:22 AM
Those beautiful leaves really do add a whole other dimension to the image, Dave. I like the repost but I still feel the crop is just a tiny bit too close. I really feel like it's crowded at the bottom and even an extra 1/4" would make a huge difference for me. Overall it's a beautiful image of a beautiful flower.