PDA

View Full Version : Fly and Petals

Dave Leroy
08-13-2010, 01:45 PM
Although the fly is not quite as sharp as I would like it, I was drawn to the composition and colours. I cropped a bit off the bottom.
50D, 100mm F/2.8 macro, 1/20, f/11, Av, EC1, ISO400.

Desmond Chan
08-13-2010, 07:24 PM
The fly is still pretty sharp based on what I see on my monitor :) May not be your intent but if you crop some from the right, you could draw the viewer's attention to the fly even more IMO.

Ken Childs
08-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Dave, I think Desmond has something there with cropping some from the right. I also think that lightening the fly a bit and increasing the overall contrast will add a bit of pop.

Roman Kurywczak
08-14-2010, 04:13 PM
Hey Dave,
Plenty sharp on this end......but you may want to consider ISO 640 to add some SS or DOF.....just to be safe. I'm not the biggest fan of OOF FG's usually......but it is not bothering me that much in this instance. I do like the crop idea off the right....but only a small one....keeping the stem of the RH flower.....but going just inside the RH edge. I love the placement in the frame and I do agree with Ken on some lightening of the fly and contrast to add a bit more impact. All in all......very well done!

Dave Leroy
08-14-2010, 05:39 PM
Thanks Guys and here is a repost.

Not sure if the fly is quite a light as Ken suggested, but I did some lightening, upped contrast and cropped some including some off bottom.
And yes, I agree about the ISO. I could easily have been at 800 for a full stop of something or other.

Thanks Again.

Dave

Julie Kenward
08-15-2010, 08:15 AM
I really like the repost, Dave! That OOF foreground was bothering me a bit - I kept finding myself wanting to look to the right where it was in focus instead of at the fly. Now it feels more balanced and the fly really holds my attention.

I must say, though, I think you were right to "see" the composition that you did in the OP. It was nicely balanced IMO but the fly just wasn't hogging enough of the attention. Good work on the repost!

Dave Leroy
08-15-2010, 10:10 AM
Thanks Jules.

It's a whole other world out there!

Dave