PDA

View Full Version : Scorpion

Chris Hansen
08-12-2010, 06:01 PM
A scorpion photographed indoors on a tagboard sweep in window light. Canon 50D with a 100mm Phoenix Macro on a tripod.. Exposure was Aperature Priority ISO 400 F 22.0 at 1/60th of a second. Do the highlights on the carapace seem distracting?

All C&C appreciated.

God bless,

chris

Julie Kenward
08-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Boy, Chris, I like it as presented. Even the highlights seem subtle enough to be natural lighting so I wouldn't worry. You can certainly tone them down if they bother you but I'm fine with them. Lovely complimentary BG and you nailed the crop/comp in my opinion. :D

Paul Lagasi
08-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Pretty cool shot...well done...the highlights don't bother me

Jonathan Ashton
08-13-2010, 02:38 AM
I think you have done remarkably well it takes some doing to get the correct DOF, the right pincer is just a tad off sharp but i think this is a very good shot. The highlights don't bother me other than those on the right pincer wher there appears to be iridescence.

Ken Childs
08-13-2010, 07:49 AM
Chris, the highlights don't bother me much but there are some things giving me trouble with this shot. The OOF front pincer and having the face in shadow. I think both problems could have been solved at least partially by having the scorpion angled towards the light but at a little less of an angle than in this shot. This would also give a bit more seperation between the pincer and the face.

If you get a chance to shoot this again, maybe using indirect window light would keep those highlights to a minimum. BTW, I do like the shot as is. :)

kostas nianiopoulos
08-13-2010, 09:04 AM
nice one Chris , i like it as it , if there some hilights , to me that ok , i can live with that , well done !

Steve Maxson
08-13-2010, 12:12 PM
A nice one, Chris. The highlights don't bother me, though it would be easy to tone them down with some careful use of the clone tool. I find that my thoughts are in close agreement with Ken's comments above. :)

Roman Kurywczak
08-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Hey Chris,
Excellent advice given above......the smoothness of the BG is bothering me a touch.......even though it looks like sand.....I would prefer some more texture there.....but overall a pretty cool shot of an interesting insect!