PDA

View Full Version : Tiny parasitoid wasp

Steve Maxson
08-12-2010, 03:16 PM
This parasitoid wasp is only 1.5 mm long and was photographed on an ox-eye daisy flower where they are fairly common, but you have to look closely to spot them. There are several thousand species of these tiny wasps and most lay their eggs on the larvae or eggs of other insects. 40D, MP-E 65 mm, 1/250, f/11, ISO 100, macro twin flash (diffused), hand held. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Julie Kenward
08-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Steve, I love the position of the bug in the frame but I'd consider cropping vertically and removing the white on the right. I think all yellow will really make him stand out and carry the image even further.

Paul Lagasi
08-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Steve...I just find it amazing the detail you get on such a small bug...I am going to have to look into getting a speedlight setup

Jonathan Ashton
08-13-2010, 03:11 AM
I appreciate this is a very tricky creature to capture especially at high magnification, the eye is superb but the DOF is so small that the tail end is rather soft. I suspect you would get fewer shots with a monopod or tripod but you may get a little more control over DOF. I agree a clsoer crop would help concentrate on the tiny wasp.

Vida van der Walt
08-13-2010, 09:12 AM
Very well done on this Steve! I know how minute these little wasps are and the fact that you captured the detail of the eye lenses is wonderful. I understand why you left the extra space on the right as it gives a sense of just how small this creature is. You have really mastered your lighting as well with no harsh flash highlights visible.:) An entomologist told me recently that the smallest insect is also a wasp and that is only a fraction of a mm big (or maybe I should say small).:)

Roman Kurywczak
08-13-2010, 10:25 AM
Hey Steve,
Tiny indeed! I'm torn on the presentation.....because it would lose scale if you removed it.....but could the sharpness faloff also be from HH that thing?.......I'd imagine that this is hard enough on a tripod......what ....looking for a bigger challenge:D! Still an impressive shot overall!

Anita Bower
08-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Good shot! I am impressed by those of you who manage such great detail with tiny creatures. I would do some cropping and eliminate the white area. Thanks for sharing.

Charissa
08-16-2010, 05:06 AM
Super detail captured Steve, cells in the eyes is clearly visible, and that in itself, is perfect. Very nice capture on this tiny little insect.