Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Manual mode
1/400"
F16
ISO:400
Canon 430EX: On, Fired
LR & CS3
HH

Both the Pearl Crescent and the flower don't have long to live.

Julie Kenward
08-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Ken, I really like this image. The worn out butterfly and coneflower go so well together. You should ask Anita to give you tips on a good textured overlay and see if you can really scuff this one up. ;)

Only thing that sticks out to me is the stem running through the petals in the top of the frame's BG. I'd look at cloning some green over that so it blends a little better. Love the position of the butterfly within the frame. Very nice piece with a very different "feel".

Steve Maxson
08-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Hi Ken. This won't appeal to everyone's taste, but it works well under the title you've given it. Both the butterfly and flower are nicely photographed and I would agree with Jule's suggestion about the stem underneath the flower.

Desmond Chan
08-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Yup ! That stem has to go, Ken :p I like the overall composition. The flower, thought not in its best condition, to me it adds dynamic to this photo.

Jonathan Ashton
08-13-2010, 03:21 AM
I like the image, maybe as suggested remove the stem, I would consider backing the flash of just a little.

Anita Bower
08-13-2010, 06:15 AM
Ken: Great composition. I like the circles--flower, butterfly, anthers. Taking above suggestions, I diminished the stem and added a texture. Don't know if this is up your alley.

Vida van der Walt
08-13-2010, 09:01 AM
Great detail in this Ken and such a fitting title. Ditto on removal of stem. I like the more saturated pinks in Anita's repost but find that the ULC and LRC are now a bit too dark.:)

Ken Childs
08-13-2010, 09:12 AM
Thanks all for the comments. I knew I should have got rid of that stem. :o

I purposely keep the saturation down on both subjects because that is how they really looked and I'm trying to show "old and weathered" in this shot.

Anita I like the textured overlay but in this case, I prefer the original for the reason just mentioned.

Jon, the flash was I think at 1/32 but I didn't put that info in the original post because I'm really not sure of the exact setting. Most of the light is just bright sunlight.

Roman Kurywczak
08-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Hey Ken,
Man.....everyone is getting really good in here with critiques! I have now read everyones response......and while the repost has merit, I'd have to agree with Vida on the corners....but an easy fix if you go that direction. I do like your OP........while you may not make this a wall hanger for everyones tastes......I love a good nature story......and this has and excellent one IMO. Stem removal was great advice and only recommendation I have......just tone down the brightness 2 or 3 points on the brightest petals......will tame the contrast somewhat yet keep the mood and story. I think this is very well done!