PDA

View Full Version : Bug

Anita Bower
08-12-2010, 05:02 AM
Here is my feeble attempt to photograph a bug. I know it is not a great image, but wondered what this bug is.

Nikon D300. Sigma 105mm macro, f5 ("relative"), 1/100, ISO 400, tripod. Large crop. Basic adjustments and denoise.

Jim Bridges
08-12-2010, 05:50 AM
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CJ&J%7E1.JIM%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01 %5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:RelyOnVML/> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Arial Unicode MS"; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1 -369098753 63 0 4129279 0;} @font-face {font-family:Georgia; panose-1:2 4 5 2 5 4 5 2 3 3; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:647 0 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:"\@Arial Unicode MS"; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1 -369098753 63 0 4129279 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Georgia; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Arial Unicode MS";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> Hi Anita, I've always just called them "little green bees":D and I have a few photos of them but Bug Guide.Net says they are Augochlora pura. That is a very interesting flower it's on. Shooting little bugs can drive you crazy, but it sure is fun.

Anita Bower
08-12-2010, 05:59 AM
[QUOTE=Jim Bridges;553726 Hi Anita, I've always just called them "little green bees":D and I have a few photos of them but Bug Guide.Net says they are Augochlora pura. That is a very interesting flower it's on. Shooting little bugs can drive you crazy, but it sure is fun.[/QUOTE]
I like your personal name for them. Thanks for the ID. The flower is a native Lobelia.

Norm Dulak
08-12-2010, 08:40 AM
Anita:

I am intrigued by your foray into the bug world! The critter is neat. But PLEASE refocus (no pun intended) your efforts on your wonderful floral photography!:)

By the way, when Linda and I were in Panama, we spotted an interesting bug on a table. I photographed the critter, and from Panama sent the image via the internet to an insect expert at the Smithsonian Institution, for identification. Believe it or not, I soon received an answer to my inquiry while still in Panama! Isn't technology wonderful?

Norm

Ken Childs
08-12-2010, 09:23 AM
I've always known these as green sweat bees but was never able to get a positive ID since there are over 1000 species of sweat bee in North America. It does look like Jim's ID is a good one, though.

I do like this shot and think it would look even better if you brightened up the bee's face.

Dave Leroy
08-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Looks like the little bee is smiling; it must enjoy having picture taken.

Good one Anita and I particularly like how the petals and bee are going in the same direction, very nice.

Anita Bower
08-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Anita:

I am intrigued by your foray into the bug world! The critter is neat. But PLEASE refocus (no pun intended) your efforts on your wonderful floral photography!:)

By the way, when Linda and I were in Panama, we spotted an interesting bug on a table. I photographed the critter, and from Panama sent the image via the internet to an insect expert at the Smithsonian Institution, for identification. Believe it or not, I soon received an answer to my inquiry while still in Panama! Isn't technology wonderful?

Norm
Thanks for the encouragement re. focusing on flowers. I was taking photos of these flowers when this little critter visited and wouldn't go away. As for technology--yes, amazing! My parents lived in Peru. S. America when I went to college. Instant communication would have make a huge difference to my college experience.

Julie Kenward
08-12-2010, 06:28 PM
I think you did very well, Anita! I also call them green sweat bees and love how irridescent they are. Crop wise I would take a little off the bottom as it feels long at that end of the frame. Good for you for using what got plunked down beside ya!

Jonathan Ashton
08-13-2010, 03:24 AM
I like the shot too, using a wide aperture on head on shots makes for plenty of impact. the only suggestion I would make under similar circumstances is to go in closer.

Anita Bower
08-13-2010, 04:22 AM
the only suggestion I would make under similar circumstances is to go in closer.
Thanks. Good suggestion. I would have had to add my 5D close-up lens. Not sure why i didn't think of it.

Vida van der Walt
08-13-2010, 08:55 AM
Lovely shot Anita and such a cool bee. Great angle, lovely colours and I like your placement of the bee in the frame.:)

Roman Kurywczak
08-13-2010, 09:28 AM
Hey Anita,
Watch out!!! It can be addictive! Can't add much to the excellent advice given above......but as usual.....your placment in the frame is excellent. I'm looking forward to more!
PS If you have a tube .....that will effectively let you get a touch closer and make the bee a bit bigger in frame.

Anita Bower
08-13-2010, 09:39 AM
Since some of the comments have suggested getting closer, this may be a good time to ask for macro equipment recommendations. I currently have a 105mm macro and a 5D close-up lens. I have an 18-200mm Tamron zoom, but find it difficult to use for macros as the focusing is not smooth. My favorite subjects are flowers. I've thought a 180mm macro might be nice once my son is out of college. :) In the meantime, do I go with: extension tubes; a teleconverter; or just what I have? Any ideas?

Ken Childs
08-13-2010, 09:47 AM
A 180mm would be great but IMO, you already have what you need.

This was shot with as Canon 100mm f2.8. It's cropped but not s huge amount.
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?53625-Green-Sweat-Bee&highlight=green+sweat+bee

Anita Bower
08-13-2010, 11:35 AM
A 180mm would be great but IMO, you already have what you need.

This was shot with as Canon 100mm f2.8. It's cropped but not s huge amount.
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?53625-Green-Sweat-Bee&highlight=green+sweat+bee
I will have to revisit my experience of trying to capture the little bee. Maybe I could have gotten closer with my 105mm. Thanks for your response.

Steve Maxson
08-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Nice to see a "bug" photo from you, Anita. I agree that it looks like a sweat bee, but my reference book says that there are over 500 species of these so I don't think we can get too specific with the ID. I like the colors and comp, and the shallow DOF works well here. Well done. Keep them coming! :)