PDA

View Full Version : The stand off

Vida van der Walt
08-12-2010, 03:43 AM
Hi everyone. It has been a while since I've visited this site and I am amazed at all the wonderful work that has been posted lately.:)
The big fly (Bombyliidae) had very bad manners and kicked the little flies (Mythicomyiidae) off the flower (some type of Daisy). :) I had to take many shots before I got one where the flies faced each other as they were busy feeding and kept on moving around.
Canon 5D Mark11; MP E 65mm; MT 24EX
apert f8; ss1/200; iso 100

Vida van der Walt
08-12-2010, 03:48 AM
For some or other reason the right side of my photo does not fit on the screen? Maybe someone can help?:)

kostas nianiopoulos
08-12-2010, 07:11 AM
Hi Vida , is this mama and kid ? , one more great image of you , these yellow bg , with the brown bugs are great

Anita Bower
08-12-2010, 08:11 AM
For some or other reason the right side of my photo does not fit on the screen? Maybe someone can help?:)
It all fits on my screen. You might resize the image to a smaller width.

Anita Bower
08-12-2010, 08:12 AM
Fantastic! Wow! Your focus is amazing--you got both flies in focus. I like the stand off position of the flies. Well done.

Vida van der Walt
08-12-2010, 08:24 AM
Thank you Kostas and Anita. :) Anita, if I view the image at the size I posted (1000 x 587) I have to use the slider to see all of it? Kostas, they are not the same species of fly. The tiny one (Mythicomyiidae) is my favourite kind of fly ever. They look like mere gnats to the naked eye and I have only recently managed to capture a shot with the lens detail of the eyes visible. I will maybe post it sometime. :)

Ken Childs
08-12-2010, 09:35 AM
LOL! These guys look like cartoon characters!

With the shallow DOF of that lens, I'm amazed you were able to get the important parts of both bugs in focus. I know that trying to get a shot like this with that lens would drive me insane!

if I view the image at the size I posted (1000 x 587) I have to use the slider to see all of it)
You must have a small monitor or your screen it set to a low resolution.

Bill Holsten
08-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Try adjusting the magnification button in your browser. In the Explorer it is in the lower right corner of the window. Lovely image, by the way.

Roman Kurywczak
08-12-2010, 01:19 PM
Hi Vida,
Yes.....you may have to adjust your screen resolution to see it here on BPN......I have a high res screen....and it is all there!
Wonderful all around.....razor sharp where it needs it and the interplay between the 2 is not only fantastic.....but extremely difficult with that lens!!! I originally debated the black v behind the insect on the right.....but I feel it gives us the viewer a great sense of scale......and just how tiny they are! Very well done!

Steve Maxson
08-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Outstanding Vida! Excellent sharpness on both flies and lots of color to grab our attention. The apparent "interaction" between the two is priceless. :)

Julie Kenward
08-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Vida, we've definitely missed you around here! I'm so happy to see you posting again. It's been a buggy world of late and we've got some people who are rocking the insect world but only one other that I can think of that has this lens (Steve M.!)

Outstanding DOF here. You really know how to eek out every last drop, don't you? The yellows are also very nicely controlled. Lovely and fun image to see!

Steve Maxson
08-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Hey Jules - Vida's photos are what inspired me to get this lens. Looks like I still have some learning to do to catch up. :)
Vida, we've definitely missed you around here! I'm so happy to see you posting again. It's been a buggy world of late and we've got some people who are rocking the insect world but only one other that I can think of that has this lens (Steve M.!)

Outstanding DOF here. You really know how to eek out every last drop, don't you? The yellows are also very nicely controlled. Lovely and fun image to see!

Paul Lagasi
08-12-2010, 08:28 PM
Vida..all I can say is wow, I thought this was a composite, but wow both bugs in one frame...... what is "MP E 65mm; MT 24EX"?

Jonathan Ashton
08-13-2010, 04:19 AM

Hit the F11 key provided your screen is big enough you will see the image at 100%:)

Jonathan Ashton
08-13-2010, 04:21 AM
Terrific shot, I find the yellows extremely bright but that is an amazing image.

Vida van der Walt
08-13-2010, 08:45 AM
Ken, Bill, Roman, Steve, Jules, Paul, Jonathan, thank you all for the lovely comments.:) Thanks for the screen advice as well. I think it is time for a new monitor.;) Steve, I am glad you bought the MP E and I can see you have already mastered the lens.:)

OvidiuCavasdan
08-13-2010, 02:37 PM
Once again...superb image! Congrats!