PDA

View Full Version : Flying through the clouds

Krijn Trimbos
08-12-2010, 01:26 AM
While I was going through some files from last year I noticed a high key Gannet silhouette that I made at a colony in Ireland. Playing around with the exposure slider exposed some unreveiled detail in the BG (in this case clouds), which IMHO led to an interesting shot.

I have several shots of this scene but in this one the beak is seperated nicely from the rest of the body. I had to refrain from using to much blur on the BG as I got banding issues so hope this amount is ok.

Please tell me what you think,

Canon EOS 50D 1/1600 f9
ISO 250
Canon 100-400 L IS USM
Focal Length 400mm

Randy Stout
08-12-2010, 07:21 AM
Krijn:

I think this works well. The darker RUC coincides with the head angle and gives me a sense of interest or direction in the image.
I think the degree of detail in the background is just right, really feels like he is flying out of a deep fog bank, into the clear.

Thanks for sharing this one.

Randy

Deborah Harrison
08-12-2010, 10:39 AM
It works for me, the bird is nice and sharp and the clouds give it a moody, almost Hitchcock feel. Also like the way the tips of the wings are splayed.

Great atmospheric image!

Joe Senzatimore
08-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Could wish for a bit more head turn , but it creates a mood which makes it work as is.:)

Stu Bowie
08-12-2010, 11:22 AM
The HA certainly makes the silhouette work, and I like the overall mood in this. If anything, I would maybe take a tad off the bottom.