PDA

View Full Version : Short-billed Dowitcher

AlvanBuckley
08-11-2010, 06:35 PM
This picture was taken in May of this year near downtown Toronto. I spent about an hour photographing a group of 4 Short-bills and got some of my favourite photographs that day. This photograph stood out because of the fly that the bird is looking at. I have gone through waves of liking and not liking this picture. Maybe I can get input from you guys! Does the fly work with the photograph? Or should I just have it cropped or cloned out? I am on the fence because a number of people have asked me whether or not it was a water droplet, so the blurry fly is obviously confusing!

ISO 500
0 ev
f/5.6
SS 1/640
Nikon D300s + VR 80-400 @ 400mm
no flash

C&C always appreciated!
thanks in advance
-Alvan Buckley

Arthur Morris
08-11-2010, 07:10 PM
I'd keep the fly and ask the bird to turn its head more toward you :) See the various head angle threads in the ER. EXP and SH good. COMP a bit awkward.

John Chardine
08-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Great to get one of these birds in such a big city! Beautiful soft background and nice low angle. Agree with head angle comment. I would brighten the image up a bit, in particular the face and eye using Levels, Curves or the dodging tool in Photoshop.

Jim Buescher
08-11-2010, 08:19 PM
I like the comp. Maybe clone out the oof highlights between the bill and the fly, they seem to compete with it. HA is OK with me...if the bird wasn't looking at the fly the whole concept of the image would change.

Is that the rest of the Dowitcher in your avatar?:)

AlvanBuckley
08-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the input!
I can see why the HA should be more towards the camera but I agree with Jim that the bird is looking at the fly. Maybe the fly should be closer to me!
Next time I'll ask the fly to come a little closer to me! :p
I cropped out the remainder of the bird because there was another bird standing in the way (it was OOF), so the crop probably makes the comp a little awkward?
Jim: it is another image of the same bird!

christopher galeski
08-12-2010, 04:02 AM
nice low angle,good BG,nice detail in the bird,the intense stare of the bird looking at the fly,I think is magic.thanks.

Arthur Morris
08-12-2010, 06:37 AM
Yes, you needed to request relocation of the fly :)

AlvanBuckley
08-12-2010, 06:54 PM
I'll have to practice some fly-whispering ;)
thanks everyone for the feedback