PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Egret with catch

alexgwoodruff
08-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Taken yesterday at the Gilbert Riparian Preserve, Arizona.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4143/4881027960_5295d232c7_z.jpg

Exif: 1/250", f5.6, ISO 200, 420mm, Manual mode, Spot metered, Exposure compensation +1EV

Lance Peters
08-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Hi Alex - love the action.

Not sure about the use of spot metering - rarely find any use for it in avian photography - would normally use matrix/eval metering. IMHO - just too much room for error when trying to use spot metering on subjects that move. Think you will find most here use Matrix except in special circumstances.
Little bit of a blue color cast present in some area's - as presented would sharpen the eye a tad - The reflection of the bird looks a little funny at the bottom, there is a white section below the birds back that is a little distracting - not sure what it is the result of but would remove anyway.
Like the low shooting angle and cant decide if it needs some CCW rotation - there is a article in the educational rescoures forum about rotation with reflections.
Keep em coming.

denise ippolito
08-12-2010, 09:42 AM
Alex, Very good points made by Lance. I agree w/ the color cast and rotation. I like the details and the fish is a great touch. I don't use spot metering either. I like the image a lot.

Arthur Morris
08-12-2010, 05:30 PM
I think that you did pretty well here. And your exposure looks perfect. The image is sharp, and I like your angle to the subject. The multiple reflection is a result of ripples in the water. When you have everything lined up right, push the shutter button and hold it down.

BTW, welcome.

Dave Leroy
08-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Really good catch on the action and I like the shooting angle.

Photo needs a bit more post processing to brighten it up and bit and make bird pop some more.

Well done.

I also like the inclusion of the reflection.