Flash On
Flash Type External E-TTL
E-TTL II flash metering Evaluative flash metering
Flash Exposure Compensation -1
Shutter curtain sync 1st-curtain sync
FE lock OFF
White Balance Mode Auto
AF Mode Manual focusing

I have been waiting for some years now to find Emerald Damselflies mating, at last I have got an image. I used a variety of settings on the camera, this one was in manual mode.
All comments welcome.

Jerry van Dijk
08-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Hi Jonathan, I think I've never seen this species mating (actually I only seem to encounter females), so good find! Also nicely executed. Good position in the frame, nice BG and crisp and sharp where it needs to be! A slightly higher aperture may have gotten that front wing of the female in focus, without doing much damage to the BG.

Kaushik Balakumar
08-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Excellent details and sharpness. Nice moment and a fine image Jon.

Ken Childs
08-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Jon, this looks good as is and with a few minor tweaks, it should look even better. Overall it looks a bit dark but that should be easily fixed using SH. As Jerry pointed out, the female's front wing is just a bit OOF but some selective sharpening should help that.

Jonathan Ashton
08-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Thanks for your comments, I wondered if this was a little "flashy" as I had set the camera to manual as opposed to AV mode. I will have a go at a re work failing that I will post another similar one baring in mind your comments/suggestions.

Vida van der Walt
08-12-2010, 04:11 AM
Great work Jonathan. Lovely detail and I prefer the original post (contrast and comp are better).:)

Anita Bower
08-12-2010, 05:21 AM
Congratulations on getting the shot you wanted. Nice.

Jim Bridges
08-12-2010, 07:11 AM
I've been chasing damsels for several years and yet to get any mating so I'm amazed when I see a image like this. The colors on both are wonderful to see...to me this image would be a prize!

Julie Kenward
08-12-2010, 02:46 PM
How exciting for you Jon! Lovely image...well cropped and composed. If you want to play with the catch lights a bit to tone them down, choose a shade of the eye next to it with the eye dropper tool and then grab a brush and reduce the opacity to about 15-20% and brush over them. It takes the glare off but leaves the catchlight shape. Sometimes it works; sometimes not so much - but its always worth a try.

Again, congrats on the wonderful catch.

Steve Maxson
08-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Nice job getting both in focus, Jonathan, and I like the behavior you illustrated. I don't mind that some of the wings are a little soft - if you had used a higher f/stop, the background would likely show undesired detail. I like Jule's suggestion about toning down the catchlights a little. Well done.

Jonathan Ashton
08-13-2010, 01:52 AM
Thanks again everyone, and Jules - good idea I will remember that on subsequent posts - you have already got me doing that on backgrounds - it never occurred to me that it would prove useful on the yes.