PDA

View Full Version : Mesa Arch - Comments Welcomed

AJ Witt
08-10-2010, 07:00 PM
This is a picture I took last year at Mesa Arch in Moab, UT. I am considering printing this on canvas, but would like to hear some feedback before spending the money to print it.

This is a 8 frame HDR image taken at f/18. There was some serious green halo's that I had to remove, but I think I got them out pretty well. The starburst is real, not edited. The only adjustments I made here were the removal of the green halo's or sun spots, and some color adjustments...not sure if I over did them or not. Let me know your thoughts...thanks!

This is my first post on here, so hopefully I did everything correct!

Don Hamilton Jr.
08-11-2010, 06:05 AM
AJ, Welcome to BPN. I'm not the Landscape expert, however this image is super!!! Love it, was thinking maybe the rocks skightly darker, however this is personal taste! Exceptional picture. Having never been there, is this a tough hike to reach , man this is on my trip list! Congrats on a keeper... FRAME this Bad Boy!!!
Don

Roman Kurywczak
08-11-2010, 06:16 AM
Hey AJ,
I think you did really nicely placing the sunburst and you got a quite dramatic one. HDR works looks pretty good too. I do think you need to smooth out some flares near the LH bright area......in the shadows....just smooth them out a touch. Having been there a bunch of times.....I do think it is a bit too red.....but leaving it the way you presented wil look great printed!.... and have a ton of impact! Great choice doing the HDR.......not an easy shot to get in one frame!:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Mike Fuhr
08-11-2010, 06:18 AM
Wonderful shot, AJ. Love the colors and composition on this one. WOuld like to have seen a tad bit more of the spires in the distance but I know you were limited by the position of the sun. I would print this on canvas in a second!

Dave Mills
08-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Hi AJ and welcome to the forum. Great first post and I would have no hesitation printing it. Nice comp with the lighting adding strong impact. Agree with Roman's suggestions which will only make a very strong image a bit stronger.
Well handled technically!

AJ Witt
08-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Thanks everyone for your feedback. Roman, I agree with your comments. I will work on it just a bit and possibly go ahead and get it to the printer!

Thanks again everyone!

Kaushik Balakumar
08-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Lovely image. HDR has come out pretty well. Might only (personal taste) reduce the saturation in the sky and below the arch.

Nick Palmieri
08-11-2010, 05:57 PM
This certainly has impact. There are some flaws IMO, to consider. HDR in back lit subjects tends to create halo's along the edges. If you look closely along the top and bottom edge of the arch you can see a slight halo. This is particularly apparent on the left bottom edge of the arch where the blue meets the red. I think if you print this, these may be magnified and more apparent. It is possible decreasing the overall saturation (maybe a little more in the red channel) would eliminate this. You may have to go back to the HDR drawing board and reduce luminescence during tone mapping. Sorry to be picky but these drive me crazy in my own images and I work very hard to try to eliminate them. Gorgeous composition!

Judy Howle
08-11-2010, 09:23 PM
WOW! Very impressive. I like strong colors.

AJ Witt
08-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Thanks again everyone for you input and comments!