PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone Birding Suggestions

Doug Schurman
08-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Hello,

My wife, daughter and I are planning to spend about 5 days in Yellowstone from about Aug 30th through Sept 3rd. We plan to have time for 2 or 3 half day outings dedicated to birding.

I would really appreciate if I could get some suggestions of good places. My wife and I will both have 400mm lenses for photography.

Thanks
Doug

Layton E Parham
08-20-2010, 07:28 PM
There are Harlequin Ducks that use the Lehardy Rapids in Yellowstone. Bring teleconverter with your 400 lenses. There is a boardwalk there, look out at the rocks for a few minutes sometimes they will be diving.

Doug Schurman
08-21-2010, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the reply Layton. I'll have to check that out.
<O:p</O:p
I think I found the definitive source. There's a book called Birds of Yellowstone written by the park Ornithologist, Terry McEneaney. In the book he talks about all the different habitat zones in the park, migrations patterns and lists the top 74 birding areas along with what you can expect to find in those areas. He also has a map of all those points and shows 5 circles within the map of suggested intensive birding areas encompassing many of the 74 spots. The book also has a several page chart showing all the bird identified in the park, time of year to find them, how easy they are and other info.
<O:p</O:p
By the way the Lehardy Rapids is birding spot number 10 in the book and is in the suggested intensive birding area he calls the Fishing Bridge Area.<O:p</O:p

Susan Griffith
09-18-2010, 08:02 PM
i have not seen that book.. and just ordered it today.. thanks for posting

Doug Schurman
09-19-2010, 12:57 AM
Well, I had a great trip to Yellowstone. So much wildlife to see it was amazing.

When going there I suggest you ask several rangers about what you are looking for. They all try to be as helpful as possible. Some are more knowledgeable about birds than others.

I posted some pictures of my trip at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/seattlebirdman/sets/72157624818441467/show/ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/seattlebirdman/sets/72157624818441467/show/)

Daniel Bailey
06-03-2011, 03:50 PM
You have some nice photos Doug! I especially like your Raven photo. How much did the book help? Is it worth getting?