PDA

View Full Version : Faux Color Infrared Virginia Lynn

Mark Hilliard
01-03-2008, 02:54 PM
This is a Faux Color Infrared image of the Virginia Lynn on the dock in Georgetown South Carolina. The Faux Color process is one wherein you take a standard infrared image and swap the red and blue channels. This give a monochromatic image where the natural blues are still present and makes for a very surreal image. While this is not a landscape image in any sence of the term it still shows a landscape technique but the hand of man is the major part of the image.

Canon 5D Infrared only body
Canon 17-40L with polarizer
f/4.5
1/800s

Robert Amoruso
01-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Mark,

Sorry it took me so long to review your image. Thanks for the explanation of the technique. That helps us all to learn.

Compositionally, I would have liked to see more room in front of the boats. I like the clouds alot and the reverse IR technique really makes them pop. I feel having the tree in the right helps to balance the image with the boats. I might have included a bit more of the grass on the left just to continue its diagonal line across the bottom of the frame.

Regarding the size of the Hand of Man element: I discussed this type of image's inclusion in the Landscape forum with some of the other moderators and they were OK with it. Thanks for posting and introducing us to this technique. I am interested in seeing more.

Alfred Forns
01-04-2008, 11:23 AM
I like the end result Mark As a mater of fact have been thinking of converting a camera Will start a thread in Digital topics If you are able jump in and give us some input

Great feel with those colors I think I would want more space up front and grass at the bottom Particularly the bottom It gives the feeling of being clipped not intentionally placed

btw starting thread in equipment review !!!

Mark Hilliard
01-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the comments. Just a quick note on the composition which I should have discussed in the initial post! The boat had another set of boats just a few feet in front of its bow and the framing was an attempt to keep them out of the picture yet keep the traditional height and width. There was no way to have more grass at the bottom and keep the other boats out of the image.