Flash Type External E-TTL
E-TTL II flash metering Evaluative flash metering
Flash Exposure Compensation -1 2/3
Shutter curtain sync 1st-curtain sync
FE lock OFF
White Balance Mode Auto
AF Mode AI Servo AF
AF area select mode Spot AF

As always your C&C are eagerly awaited!:)

Jim Bridges
08-10-2010, 11:20 AM
<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CJ&J%7E1.JIM%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01 %5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:RelyOnVML/> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Arial Unicode MS"; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1 -369098753 63 0 4129279 0;} @font-face {font-family:Georgia; panose-1:2 4 5 2 5 4 5 2 3 3; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:647 0 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:"\@Arial Unicode MS"; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1 -369098753 63 0 4129279 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Georgia; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Arial Unicode MS";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> Looks like you were in a patch of thistles when this was taken...may be a hint of one in the upper left corner and I like that. The position of the BF is wonderful! Looks very well done to me.<o></o>

Valerio Tarone
08-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Hi Jonatan good angle, lovely the BG with warm colors.

Roman Kurywczak
08-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Hey Jonathan,
Super light, details and sharpness.....wasn't originally thrilled with the ULC or the darker green line....around 2 o'clock.....smotthing and blending is an option.....but IMO they don't detract from the wonderful presentation.....so I'd take it either way! Very well done!!!:cheers:

Ken Childs
08-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Jon, this is another winner!
If this were mine, I'd get rid of the pink in the ULC and try to smooth out the BG just a bit.

Jonathan Ashton
08-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the comments, glad you liked it, I warmed the colours slightly as it was taken in early morning light. Jim you are absolutely right it was a filed full of thistles and ragweed and plant I cannot recall the name of - it isn't a thistle but the flower head looks just like a common thistle. The filed was a carpet of blue this morning , this afternoon I returned with Barney to find the whole field had been mown flat. Still evry cloud and all that, there are still some flowers round the periphery so hopefully they will act as a magnet ... or they will all have flown off to another field!:(

Julie Kenward
08-10-2010, 07:34 PM
A lovely image, Jon! I do wish the entire perch plant head had been included - I think this way it feels a bit cut off. Might try taking even more off to see if that makes the cut feel more "intentional". Lovely BG. I'd also consider removing the pink in the ULC - it's pretty but it is distracting.

Steve Maxson
08-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Hi Jonathan. You're getting good at photographing these small butterflies! I like the diagonal pose with the butterfly appearing to be alertly looking off into the distance (or whatever constitutes "distance" for a butterfly :) ). Looking at the bottom of the frame, I'm thinking I might want just a bit more room to fit in the rest of the plant bud. Failing that, you might consider cropping up a little from the bottom (it's the old "cut, don't clip" thing, I guess). Well done.

Hmmm, looks like Jules and I were thinking along the same lines - at the same time. :)

Jerry van Dijk
08-11-2010, 02:51 PM
Hi Jonathan, another great butterfly shot! I like the warm colors, but they look a bit on the reddish side. The upper wing seems a bit OOF, you may have wanted to increase the aperture just one step. The flowerhead is from Centaurea jacea (Brown knapweed). I think you did a great job capturing this species, they never seem to sit still!

Jonathan Ashton
08-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Thanks for your C&C everyone I appreciate the feedback very much.

Vida van der Walt
08-12-2010, 04:40 AM
Beautiful image Jonathan. Agree on the upper wings slightly soft but great detail in the rest. I love the pink in the bg and wonder if it is possible to selectively add a little pink to the rest of the bg.:)

Anita Bower
08-12-2010, 05:06 AM
I especially like the glowing colors in this image. I find my eye drawn to the perch and away from the little butterfly, which is a shame. Perhaps Jules' suggestion of cropping a bit off the perch? Beautiful!