PDA

View Full Version : Osprey with fish

Donna Lorello
03-08-2008, 08:39 AM
This was taken using a 75-300mm zoom on 300mm handheld. I did some post-processing to remove some artifacts around the bird to clean it up after sharpening and slightly adjusting levels. Image is cropped a bit to centralize the bird. Any ideas on if this image requires any additional processing?

Alfred Forns
03-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Donna you might clone some texture in the hot white area Just take it from surrounding feathers Will look great

That is one big fish the osprey came up with Sure wish it would have flown at a better angle !!!

LeeOtsubo
03-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Hi Donna,
I think this photo falls under the heading, "Close but no cigar!" This osprey must be related to the ones I've seen around San Diego because all it shows is its butt! :D

You're on the right track. The exposure on the left side looks good with just a little hot spot on the body.

As for additional PP, I don't think there's much else you can do for it due to the direction and angle. The bird's eyes are obscured, the underside of the right wing is buried and the left wing is OOF. Were you shooting in burst mode and did you have all focus points active? If not, I'd try that next time. Hope that helps.

Donna Lorello
03-08-2008, 11:47 AM
Hi Lee. Thanks for the ideas - I will keep trying. It was shot in burst mode and I believe I used the 'sports' mode of my camera. I don't have the powerful equipment many of you do (I'm working with a Canon 300D Digital Rebel and a 75-300mm zoom lens only - unless I couple my camera body to a scope, and that doesn't work with action photography for me right now). I am looking at what everyone is doing with superior equipment and hoping I can upgrade the camera and lenses, and post-processing programs some day. I'm unfortunately stuck with what I have and I figure if folks can help me master shooting with lesser equipment, then I'll be ready to go when financially able to upgrade to better equipment. I happened to like this angle only because of the fact that focus was on the load this bird was carrying. I guess it's just my personal taste...

LeeOtsubo
03-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Hi Donna,
Unless you're making photos for a client, what pleases you is what matters. It's easy for the rest of us to play "Monday morning quarterback" but you were the one with your finger on the release.

The original Canon DR was a fine camera in it's day but getting a bit long in the tooth. Also, your 75-300 has the older style micro-motor USM instead of the ring-style USM which is faster and more precise. Any lens you consider for BIF should use the ring-style USM.

Finally, the Exif shows you're using Photoshop Elements 2.0. You might consider upgrading to PSE 6.0 which is the latest version. You can find it for as little as $49 at Costco on sale. HTH.

Robert O'Toole
03-08-2008, 08:21 PM
I don't have the powerful equipment many of you do (I'm working with a Canon 300D Digital Rebel and a 75-300mm zoom lens only - unless I couple my camera body to a scope, and that doesn't work with action photography for me right now). I am looking at what everyone is doing with superior equipment and hoping I can upgrade the camera and lenses, and post-processing programs some day.

This is a very common misconception Donna. You dont need a 600mm lens and a MKIIII to take quality images. I use lenses from 15mm to 200mmm all the time to shoot birds in flight.
If you have some free time take a look at some of the image gallery sites like pbase and search digital rebel or 75-300 and you wont believe your eyes when you see what others are doing with a digital rebel :D
Some of my favorite images in 2001 were made with an old D30, thats 3 MP and 3 frames per second ($3000 retail at the time).

I'm unfortunately stuck with what I have and I figure if folks can help me master shooting with lesser equipment, then I'll be ready to go when financially able to upgrade to better equipment. I happened to like this angle only because of the fact that focus was on the load this bird was carrying. I guess it's just my personal taste...

Sounds like a very good plan. I believe in learning and mastering what you have. You wont believe how many folks show up to workshops with a brand new $5000 camera and they barely know how to turn it on.

Robert

Donna Lorello
03-09-2008, 09:24 AM
Robert and Lee

I do appreciate the help. Is there a place to learn the rules on what are acceptable goals to work towards if I ever wanted to show my work as something more than just amateur? I have Art Morris's CD book on my wish list. I would love to get to a workshop some day to have first hand experience in the learning process. A better post-processing program I know is a must, but funds are extremely limited right now. I have been photographing birds and other critters since I was 12 and got my first Minolta 35mm camera, but I really think I want to take my abilities to the next level and learn what it takes to really create some exciting images instead of just documentary shots - in other words, shots that are appealing to more than just my eye. My camera is indeed becoming a factor - I wish I had something with a faster reaction time. Sometimes I feel I am missing those great shots because of the lag time and my having to manually focus my zoom - with the 1.5x TC I use, that is hindering many shots but the only way I can bring in some of the subjects - unless I couple the camera to the scope.

Robert O'Toole
03-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Arties book The Art of Bird Photography 2 (http://www.birdsasart.com/ABPII.htm) is an excellent place to start.

I didnt realize that you are using a 1.5X teleconvertor/extender! Well that explains why the camera seems so slow. You should try to visit areas that would allow you to approach birds at a closer distance so you can use the 75-300 straight and without the 1.5X. I know in some areas this is close to impossible.
The shutter lag is a factor that you just have to get used to, with practice you can usually predict the action in most cases and adjust your shutter release timing, but the better cameras do make it easier I admit.
Glad to hear your enthusiasm to keep improving and make great images, keep it up and in time you will suceed I am sure.

Keep the posts and questions coming, we are all here to help.

Robert

LeeOtsubo
03-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Hi Donna,
I agree with Robert that Artie's book is a good place to start. I'd also recommend Artie's Digital Basics pdf and, since Robert is too modest to toot his own horn, his APTATS CD is a good addition once you have Photoshop CSx.

Let me also add that you would do well to keep in mind "the journey is the reward." I've been photographing since about the time dirt was invented. Yet, each year, I buy a dozen or more books and take several workshops. If money is tight, join a camera/photography club. Scour the web for photo sites. Read the photo magazines at the library. And, keep coming here and asking questions.

Gus Cobos
03-19-2008, 10:00 AM
Hi Donna,
I love the action here. Congrats... for the next one try getting him at a different angle:)

I know its hard, but thats the fun... I LIKE IT VERY MUCH...:D

CONGRATS...:)

Gus...:cool: