PDA

View Full Version : Ouuuchhh my tail is on fire...

Jeroen Stel
08-10-2010, 06:22 AM
Hi Guys,

Been a while since i last posted over here as i have had some health issues wich still have not been resolved unfortunately...
This is a Common Blue i came across yesterday evening just before sunset.

greetings,

Jeroen Stel

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh7/jeroenstel/Icarusblauwtje-HM-Serie-2-8.jpg

Canon Eos 1D Mark3
Shutter speed: 1/"3 sec
Aperture: F 9
Exposure mode: AV
Exposure compensation: + 1/3
Flash:yes: Canon MT 24EX with custom made raiser & Gary Fong Puffer Diffusers
Flash exposure compensation: -1 2/3
Metering mode: Evaluative
Drive mode: AI Focus
ISO: 160
Lens: Sigma 17-80mm F2.8 Macro + 1.7 TC
Focal length: 155mm
AF mode: Manual Focus
On tripod
Levels/Curves/USM/Contrast/Saturation/Noise Ninja/My own mix-Sharpening
Bibble Pro / Adobe Photoshop CS5

Roman Kurywczak
08-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Hi Jeroen,
Welcome back and hope you resolve those health issues.........photography can only help.....at least for the mind!

I didn't think I would like this image because of the brightness of the sun.......but you did something very effective here.....using the flash to subtly bring up the BF details and yet keep the rim light.....great job there. I did wonder what it would look like ....just rim lit but without the sun......but this has a cool look to it......like the BF is on fire...... like Icarus! Very unique presentation handled very well technically!:cheers:

Jonathan Ashton
08-10-2010, 04:49 PM
Good idea I like the rim lit effect but I am sorry to say I don't like the big bright area in the background.

Julie Kenward
08-10-2010, 07:31 PM
I'm torn between liking the bright area and hating it. I think if you would have managed to encapsulate the entire butterfly inside the bright area I'd be more in love with it that way. Just as an option I used the brush tool to add a slightly opaque orange layer over the bright area. Not sure I like it more but thought it was worth a look.

Desmond Chan
08-11-2010, 12:45 AM
Between the two, I prefer Julie's. I think I prefer the tone-downed "flame" as it let my eyes focus on and see the butterfly more clearly and comfortably now :)

Jeroen Stel
08-11-2010, 03:22 AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies and wishes on my health. I agree that the image looks better toned down as by Jules.

I did shoot another version wich is a bit less harsh and colors are somewhat softer. Perhaps this one works better...

greetings,

Jeroen Stel

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh7/jeroenstel/Icarusblauwtje-HM-Serie-2-9.jpg

Anita Bower
08-11-2010, 04:03 AM
The title helps make this an interesting image. I like the backlighting and how it highlights the little hairs, especially on the head. Julie's version lets me enjoy the butterfly more. Unusual and creative.

Vida van der Walt
08-12-2010, 04:42 AM
Very different and artistic. Great mood to this image. I like the second shot even better.:)