PDA

View Full Version : Spoonbill and ibis with storm approaching

Connie Mier
08-09-2010, 06:48 PM
I couldn't resist the lighting and the background. Taken on Chokoloskee Bay, those are oyster shells in the water.
Sony a700, 70-400mm
ISO800, f5.6, 1/640, fill flash, manual metering
Major crop and I tried to get the noise down as much as possible, one reason I cringe at using ISO800 with this camera.
Thanks for looking
Connie

Graeme Sheppard
08-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Personally I think people worry too much about noise - with film it was thought of as a feature. As long as the noise doesn't damage the detail, that is.
I like the background and the way it melts away, but I think the positioning of the birds could have been a bit better. It's often not possible to change, but I think the ibis is hidden too much, I'd prefer to see all of its bill, especially as it reappears at the tip.

I'd also try making it a little bit punchier by brightening up the birds and maybe the reflection, which holds some of the interest for me.

Dave Blinder
08-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Hi Connie, nice comp and head angles. I wish the Ibis's bill didn't merge with the Spoonbill. I agree with Graeme on trying to brighten.. I might raise the white point a bit. Was this handheld? If on a tripod, I'd try to stop the aperture down, and even gamble with some lower ISOs.

Connie Mier
08-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Hi Connie, nice comp and head angles. I wish the Ibis's bill didn't merge with the Spoonbill. I agree with Graeme on trying to brighten.. I might raise the white point a bit. Was this handheld? If on a tripod, I'd try to stop the aperture down, and even gamble with some lower ISOs.

Thanks Dave and Graeme, I shoot from a canoe. Although parked and quite still, there is movement (always with water) and it was shot handheld. Hence, the high ISO and use of flash. Can't go lower than f5.6 at 400mm with this lens.
Connie

Ken Lassman
08-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Really like this image Connie...like the pre-storm lighting and color. I agree with trying to brighten and bringing out a little more detail. I would also crop from the left just past the first clump of oysters. Great eye contact...and in the perfect world it would be nice to see both bills,,,,but the water droplets at the end of both bills is a bonus....nicely captured. TFS

Fabs Forns
08-10-2010, 03:02 PM
I don't mind the light as presented because it has the feel of a storm, which is exactly what prompt the image to be taken. Wish there was some separation between the bird, or at least, the faces. Empty shells are very cool.