PDA

View Full Version : B&W of Upper Shell Falls

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
08-09-2010, 04:09 PM
I took this image at the Shell Falls in the Big Horn Mountains in central Wyoming alon US 14. I converted it to black and White and am very interested in your opinions as to how it looks. If it would be helpful I will repost the original. Shooting data below:
Nikon D3
2010:06:29 19:53:40
70-200mm @ 200mm
200mm (in 35mm film)
1/8 sec, f/22
Mode: Manual
Metering: Multi-segment
Exp comp: -2/3
ISO: 200
White balance: Auto
Flash: Off
File size: 227MB
Image size: 4256 x 2832
Color space: sRGB
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Contrast: Normal
Color profile: sRGB

Nick Palmieri
08-10-2010, 07:10 AM
I like the composition and the diagonal flow of water. My only opinion would be to open the shadows a bit.

Dave Mills
08-10-2010, 08:19 AM
Hi Wheeler, Good composition with the water on a diagonal. The image is a bit underexposed and needs to be lightened. Should be an easy fix. Well handled...

Michael Pancier
08-10-2010, 11:20 AM
In addition to the comments above, being a B&W image, I would boost the contrast in the rocks as well as the conversion looks a little flat.

Roman Kurywczak
08-11-2010, 09:20 AM
Hey Mac,
Great advice given above. I will add.....for a B&W to be really succesful....you need a good comp.....which you have.....but you also need a big tonal range. You have to think a bit more like the old B&W masters.......dodging and burning to eek out as much tonal range in the image you can.....focusing our attention on certain points. That being said.....we have much greater tools at our digital darkroom......simple, selective levels layers (or curves, or even lightness and contrast boost) will bring up more of the tones in areas that need to be highlighted more.....yet staying away from areas....being careful not to blow them out. Think locally....not globally in the image.....and make small, cumulative tweaks to get the most out of the image. Hope this makes sense!

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
08-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Roman and company- I will take some time today and see what I can do and repost later today, the result. Would Vivza 2 be a good tool for this sort of a change? Thanks for the help as this is the very best way to learn.
Mac

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
08-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Ok here is what I have done. Is it better or did I screw it up? I like it but I'll wait to hear from you experts,
Mac

Dave Mills
08-11-2010, 02:51 PM
Hi Wheeler, I quickly did a levels adj on this...

Roman Kurywczak
08-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Hey Mac,
You are headed into the right direction....since Dave was quick.....I'lll give him a pass on the whites in the water;).....so be careful there. Should be able to give it a whack in a few myself......but keep tweaking.....you are getting there!

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
08-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Here is my latest try. Please let me know what you think and how it can be improved and with what PS tools to use. Thanks again for all thew help!

Mac

Dave Mills
08-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Hi Wheeler, The blacks or darker shades are washed out. A B&W needs good contrast.

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
08-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Dave,
I agree with you. Would adding a little black to the neutrals and blacks be helpful?
Mac

Roman Kurywczak
08-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Hey Mac.....I am thinking yes!....but you may want to try an aggresive LCE (local contrat enhancement) first.......an dse wha tthat does. otherwise do a selective color change.....then an more gentle LCE. Let us know if it works!

Nick Palmieri
08-11-2010, 08:54 PM
I wanted to throw my hat in the ring. I did a shadows/highlights adj and LCE. It is always much better to start with the color RGB profile then convert from there but here is another shot at it from your original post. There are still some shadows that could use some work which I would likely do some dodging. TFS!

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
08-11-2010, 10:13 PM
OK All- Here is my final attempt using many of the suggestions of all of you and thank you for your time and effort. I really appreciate it. This is the result of at least five different trials that I have done offline. I think I must be at the limit of the number of reposts allowed. I don't know whether this is what you all had in mind, but it is the one that I like and I quess that is important, but I have such great respect for all of your opinions I hope this works as you all invisioned. I don't find PS very easy and sometimes I am worried that I don't have the artistic ability for this sort of thing, but I have found in my life that hard work mostly overcomes lack of talent, but not always. Hope this works for you all, please let me know as your help is really appreciated. Thanks again.

Mac