PDA

View Full Version : (Great) Ringed Plover

Krijn Trimbos
08-09-2010, 11:18 AM
This is the European counterpart of the Semipalmated plover. I looks quite the same but different in places. For instance the Ringed Plover has a white patch above the eye that the Semipalmated is lacking if I am right. Even so they are quite similar so I hope you can enjoy this shot. Normally they are pretty shy, at least in the Netherlands, in breeding plumage, so I was happy to get this one in Spitsbergen.

I took out some grasses in the foreground.

C & C are welcome

Canon EOS 7D 1/1000 f9
ISO 400
Canon 500mm L IS USM + 1.4 Converter

Morkel Erasmus
08-09-2010, 11:21 AM
really dig the colours and low point-of-view here Krijn...and the colours in the pic are super!

maybe add a touch of sharpening to the bird?

"wel gedaan" :)

Dumay de Boulle
08-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Great image, super details and colours...I think the sharpening is fine;)... Sorry Morkel:(

Stu Bowie
08-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Great perspective Krijn, with a good angle of capture. Well exposed, good detail, and I like the colours of the BG. I would maybe try and lighten the eye.

Bill Holsten
08-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Background is over the top beautiful and interesting, without in any way detracting from the bird. Excellent image.

Arthur Morris
08-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Great bird. I will have to compare with some of my breeding plumage SEPL images. Heck, maybe I can find one of them at JBWR next week! I love that unique BKGR; is the green from reflections? And I like the four grass blades that you left.

From here, the image looks a tiny bit bright/contrasty.

Axel Hildebrandt
08-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Angle, sharpness and eye contact look great but the BG makes this one for me. I agree with Artie and Stuart on reducing contrast and/or lightening the eye a tad.

Kaustubh Deshpande
08-09-2010, 12:24 PM
This is beautiful. Loved the BG colors and the grass blades as Artie mentioned. Perfect shooting angle. Thx for sharing.

Krijn Trimbos
08-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Great bird. I will have to compare with some of my breeding plumage SEPL images. Heck, maybe I can find one of them at JBWR next week! I love that unique BKGR; is the green from reflections? And I like the four grass blades that you left.

From here, the image looks a tiny bit bright/contrasty.

Thanks for all the great comments people! Very much apprieciated.

Artie, the BG is a mix of grasses comming out of the water and their reflections in the water I think.

With regards to the contrast mentioned by Artie and Axel. I am hearing that a lot lately, maybe I am getting a bit used to high contrast post processing....Will check on my latest posts compared to earlier ones this year!

In any case thanks a bunch for the comments people,

Cheers

Krijn

Ed Prete
08-09-2010, 03:29 PM
really fantastic image and a background that is equally as good. Perhaps reduce the contrast about 5-10% in LR or PS, but even that is a minimal nit. Well done.

Aiden Blake
08-09-2010, 05:36 PM
The bird looks to have a nice content look on their face. Nice capture as the light and comp is really pleasing.

christopher galeski
08-10-2010, 04:06 AM
its all been said,the BG is magic,great shot.thanks.

arash_hazeghi
08-10-2010, 05:16 AM
nice low angle and details, great pose too. it does look contrasty on my screen as well.

Dan Brown
08-10-2010, 06:54 AM
Beautiful shot! I agree with the contrast suggestions. The bg is so nice that I sort of wish for more of it, maybe a crop with the bird smaller? Love it!

Ofer Levy
08-10-2010, 07:01 AM
Very pretty image!! Bird is slightly big in the frame for my taste.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
08-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Another vote for the great BG :)

Nico Steenberg
08-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Great low angle and IQ. Subject is well exposed with good natural colours against a killer bg. Well done !

Fabs Forns
08-10-2010, 03:18 PM
If the bird is good looking, I'm totally in love with the BG :)
Great detail, EXP, head and body angle and sharpness.