PDA

View Full Version : Lobelia

Anita Bower
08-09-2010, 05:49 AM
I believe this is a native Lobelia.

Taken outdoors, early morning. Nikon D300, Sigma 105mm macro, f 13 ("relative"), 1/13 sec., ISO 200, tripod, manual focus (live view), manual exposure. PP: PS 7, "crisp edge", Topaz contrast enhancement, Denoise, even out BG.

Wish BG were more even, but at larger aperture I lost the details on the flowers. Any suggestions?

As always, I appreciate CC.:D

Jay Sheinfield
08-09-2010, 07:29 AM
Hi Anita,

For my taste, the BG is excellent. Subtle hues of green and blue serve to support an already excellent image. Great light and well framed...............maybe a slight CCW rotation, not sure. I like it.

Ken Childs
08-09-2010, 07:51 AM
Anita, I really like the colors and the detail on the flowers. The stem looks like it's a bit OOF but that's a minor point, IMO. The BG looks OK as is but if you want to smooth it out, try grabbing one of the mid greens and lightly paint over the the rough spots with a soft brush. As to the crop, I think I'd prefer a bit less on the right and a bit more on the bottom, maybe even going to a square.

Jonathan Ashton
08-09-2010, 08:50 AM
The background looks just fine to me - I wouldn't worry about it. The flowers are well lit and pin sharp. You could duplicate the layer and in Photoshop >Filter>Noise and give Noise reduction 9/10 and 0 detail, Jpeg noise 45%, then make a Layer mask and brush over your subject so the subject is sharp and the background is soft. I think the composition is good and I like the colours.

Roman Kurywczak
08-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Hey Anita,
Great tips on the BG above.....but I have to ask.....was it natural? Could you move the bloom? I ask because getting the flower slightly further away in the field from the BG (if possible) would do the same thing.....but make it a bit darker.....always the trade-off. I think the light on this is fantastic...sharp where it needs it.....torn on the crop right (not a huge fan of square...but I do think it will work!)......overall....a very well done image! BTW......I am fine with the BG as presented too!

Allen Sparks
08-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Looks great to me as presented and I like the background. A little definition there is okay I think.

Steve Maxson
08-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Lovely light on the flowers and excellent detail, Anita. I too, think the background looks just fine, as presented. Well done.

Anita Bower
08-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Hey Anita,
Great tips on the BG above.....but I have to ask.....was it natural? Could you move the bloom? I ask because getting the flower slightly further away in the field from the BG (if possible) would do the same thing.....but make it a bit darker.....always the trade-off.
The BG is real. These little flowers are on the only Lobelia plant among a bunch of ferns and other plants. It didn't occur to me to move the BG greenery. It is something to remember next time. Thanks for the tip.

Julie Kenward
08-10-2010, 07:14 PM
I like this very much but have to ask...why this crop and not a vertical? I do like it as presented but feel like this really would be stronger with more room top and bottom and less on the right.

I'm fine with the BG but Ken's comment is a great option. Lovely blues and I like how there's a touch of them in the BG as well...pulls the whole thing together for me.

Anita Bower
08-12-2010, 04:31 AM
As to the crop, I think I'd prefer a bit less on the right and a bit more on the bottom, maybe even going to a square.
Thanks for this suggestion. I'm going to try it. :)

Anita Bower
08-12-2010, 04:33 AM
I like this very much but have to ask...why this crop and not a vertical? .
Good question. It could be that I didn't turn the camera to vertical (which I ought to always do!) or that there was junk in the way.