PDA

View Full Version : Northern Saw-whet Owl

Raymond Barlow
03-08-2008, 05:05 AM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/rammy111111/DSC_4838w.jpg

Grimsby, Ontario Canada

Nikon D300 (http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/d300) ,Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S VR (http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/200-400_4g_afs_vr)

1/20s f/10.0 at 200.0mm iso200

tripod, live view, natural light, almost FF

I was very lucky this winter to have 3 chances to photograph this very cool and small owl. While setting up, my 2 year old daughter Maria was moving around under the tree, and the bird seemed quite interested in her., so we moved Maria away, while this was going on, the owl sure gave her a look!

c/c welcome and appreciated.

thanks for looking, have a good weekend.

Alfred Forns
03-08-2008, 08:55 AM
One good looking bird !!!!! Amazing how kids can interact with animals !!!!

No complaints about sharpness here but would have love to see you use a higher ISO Any movement on the bird and its all over Your camera has great ISO performance

Would work on her left eye and lighten a bit and for printing purposes would work on the one little branch sticking into the body Will clean it up It is such a beautiful image !!! Big Congrats !!!

Fabs Forns
03-08-2008, 09:07 AM
I'm sure that Owl can stare anyone down, what eyes!

Great to see, thanks, Raymond.
Agree on the ISO, I never use mine under 400.

Anton Roos
03-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Brilliant. Like the environment included. Pin sharp and good colours.

Judy Lynn Malloch
03-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Stunning image and I loved the background history as well Raymond . I echo all the above comments and more. This is outstanding and the intense stare puts it over the top. Love it.

Gayle Clement
03-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Beautifully sharp with excellent detail. I love the sharp gaze.

Arthur Morris
03-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Hey Raymond, Thanks for sharing this wonderful image. I would lighten the left side of the face beginning at the center of the left eye. Agree with Al on the little branch too.

later and love, artie

Daniel Cadieux
03-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Interesting techs, but result nicely achieved...that's what counts. You would give yourself better chances at consistent results with tech suggestions above. First time I saw one of these I couldn't believe the look it gave me! It then quickly settled in to its regular feeding activity...

Del Cockroft
03-08-2008, 12:51 PM
A beautiful bird and a very striking image. Love those eyes!

Stephen Stephen
03-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Ray lovely image of an owl species that I've still yet to see. You were fortunate to get this bird relatively out in the open. Nits already mentioned.

Raymond Barlow
03-08-2008, 02:38 PM
thanks everyone for the kind comments. I like to leave the light as natural as possible, so long as it looks "natural"., the light was coming from the left side, and I like a bit of shadow in this case., though I do appreciate your suggestions. I guess I am graduating toward the more purist attitude as I try to improve, getting away from cloning, and various alterations I have used in the past., If I can get away with some slight levels adjustments, and sharpening, I am happy!!

Also, as for the techs... I fired 200 frames on this day, and did not delete 1!! this bird is very still, and no wind. I really see a big difference between iso 200 and iso 400 on this camera, and I am very IQ hungry in situations like this. Thank you again!!

take good care.

Axel Hildebrandt
03-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Great find and image. I like the pose and setting. The head looks slightly oversharpened on my monitor.

Manos Papadomanolakis
03-08-2008, 04:47 PM
I really like the pose and the details,nice looking bird!