PDA

View Full Version : Black-necked Stilt

Katie Rupp
08-08-2010, 08:49 PM
This little beauty is from the California BIF workshop with Doug Brown and Jim Neiger. Late afternoon light. C&C encouraged and greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Canon 7D, f7.1, 1/2000; Man; ISO 400; 500f4; hh

Dan Brown
08-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Hi Katie! This is really attractive! I love the muddy foot! Sharpness and exp are tops! I am torn regarding the right side of the frame being so close to the stilts tail. Part of me wants more space there but I also like the OOTB look of this as presented! Great work and great to see you are out there shooting!

Bill Holsten
08-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Hi Katie,

Nice image, particularly the muddy foot and the pose. It looks like some of the whites in the head lack detail, but that detail is difficult to preserve without losing the rich colors in the wing which is a strong point of this species.

Bill

Ofer Levy
08-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Excellent techs in here and nice pose. Just a bit tight on the right IMO.

Arthur Morris
08-08-2010, 10:07 PM
Love the red eye and the muddy foot (of course). It may need a tiny bit of CCW rotation judging from the concentric rings.... I would strongly recommend cropping from the bottom to eliminate the upper section of the front leg (that actually corresponds to our shin).

denise ippolito
08-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Beautiful pose and details Katie. I agree it is a tiny bit tight on the right. I love the feather detail and the water color. Nicely done. I bet you had a great time on the workshop. Both Jim and Doug are top notch!!:)

Katie Rupp
08-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Thanks, Artie. I couldn't decide if it needed a bit more rotation and I like your crop recommendation.

Aidan Briggs
08-08-2010, 10:52 PM
I wish I had gone on that workshop! Nice light and colors. I might tone down the brightest whites a tad.

Well Done!

arash_hazeghi
08-09-2010, 12:36 AM
these are my favorite birds! Awesome details and light, well done! would just like a bit more room to the right

Arthur Morris
08-09-2010, 05:18 AM
Thanks, Artie. I couldn't decide if it needed a bit more rotation and I like your crop recommendation.

YAW. Did you have any more room behind the birds? If you draw a line with the Ruler Tool through the center of the concentric rings you can then use Image/Rotate/Arbitrary to level it. As described in Digital Basics I have created shortcuts for both the Ruler Tool (R) and for Image/Rotate/Arbitrary (CTRL/?) as taught to me by Robert O'Toole. They are great timesavers.

Stu Bowie
08-09-2010, 05:37 AM
Katie, I like the tippy toe walking pose, and the muddy foot adds interest. The light has brought out the colours nicely. Maybe a little tight on the right.

Katie Rupp
08-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Thank you all, and unfortunately I have no more canvas on the right side which is why I hesitated posting it but liked it too much anyway.

Judy Lynn Malloch
08-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Beautiful work Katie for all the above mentioned reasons. Love the sharp eye and the lovely action captured in this image. Agree more room on the right . Lovely work and thanks for sharing !!!

Morkel Erasmus
08-09-2010, 10:40 AM
lovely light, low angle and sharpness...some good advice given especially from Artie regarding rotation and cropping from the bottom.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
08-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Katie, one of my favourite birds and I wish that this were mine...the light is gorgeous and so are the details :)

Kaustubh Deshpande
08-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Katie, loved the light here.....that combined with the excellent shooting angle and the pose makes this one quite special. Loved the foot :-)

pat lillich
08-09-2010, 06:22 PM
this is so beautiful Katie - awesome shot...

Jackie Schuknecht
08-09-2010, 07:19 PM
If you have CS5 it has a straighten tool built in. Like the pose and agree with comments already made, especially a crop from the bottom. Nice shot.