PDA

View Full Version : HELP! How do you clean filters? Or should I use them at all?

Christopher C.M. Cooke
03-08-2008, 03:45 AM
I give up, I have no problem cleaning lenses (isopropyl, a lens brush and microfibre cloth) but for the life of me I CANNOT clean filters.

No matter what I try I end up with a smeary filter, any help may well save my marriage.:)

I often wonder whether I should use the blo#dy things at all (CPL excepted) or, go as God and Canon intended "au natural".

I throw myself at your mercy.

Doug West
03-08-2008, 05:25 AM
The microfibre cloth and some lens spray should be
more than enough to clean a filter.

When you say they end up smeary, maybe the cloth
you're using is kind of dirty or not dry enough to soak
up the moisture?

What is the filter and brand?

Me, I don't use filters. Not even a uv/skylite.

Doug

Pete Woods
03-08-2008, 05:48 AM
I used filters UV/Skylight with my film camera's and when I first moved to digital. However I have now gone "au natural" and prefer it.... Personal choice I think.

As for cleaning them, never had a problem. Never used chemicals to clean my filters or lens, just a good lens cloth and my breath....

Alfred Forns
03-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Christopher I never used UV /Skylight filter One more surface to keep clean and give you trouble

Years ago when I was shooting Leicas (M2) one of the factory reps spotted a filter on the lens and said to me ........ "why do you think we make lens caps for" Last time I had one on a lens

Ben Page
03-08-2008, 09:23 AM
I'm with Pete when it comes to cleaning the filters, a good cloth and my breath has always been enough.

It's interesting reading these responses though, I've been using B+W UV or Canon protector filters on all my lenses bar the 300mm f/2.8, never really occured not to. I've always thought filters were a good idea to protect the front element, but thinking about it, I've never had to replace a filter due to damage so will be giving the au natural approach a go from now on :)

Doug West
03-08-2008, 12:03 PM
The reason why I don't use a protective filter is something Artie said a
long time ago...if the glass filter breaks, there's a chance that the
glass could actually scratch the lens.

Chances of it happening? Probably one in a trillion, but I'm usually
that 'one' that something bad happens to :)

Doug

Ben Page
03-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Good point, hadn't thought of that. That's settled it for me, no more protective filters! :)

Fabs Forns
03-08-2008, 01:07 PM
My point is if you spent some serious money on good glass, why cover it with a piece of cheap glass??????

Ben Page
03-08-2008, 01:33 PM
That's a very good point, although to be fair, B+W are far from cheap (although I suppose they are compared to the price of the lens)! However, point taken!

Christopher C.M. Cooke
03-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

My dustbin now has 8 filters gracing its lower bits, au natural from now on.

Paul Pagano
03-08-2008, 04:53 PM
I am moving away from screw on filters. I do use Hi-Tech ND Grad filters that fit in a Cokin P Series holder for landscapes and such. They are a pain to keep clean but I use a zeiss lens cloth (pre saturated) and then use tissue or something to wipe it dry. Seems to work ok.

Bob Blanchard
03-25-2008, 09:52 AM
LOL - Artie said it best when I heard him tell someone in our IPT class to get that "focusing inhibitor" off their lens :)

Ed Cordes
03-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Only filters I use are a CPL and a grad ND and only when appropriate. Besides, when was the last time you actually damaged the front of a lens or filter? Like Fabs said, placing cheaper glass over expensive glass doesn't make sense.

John Grylls
03-26-2008, 08:52 PM
Regarding the cleaning of filters, I believe that isopropyl will dissolve the multi-coatings on several brands thus causing the smearing..

Re the wisdom of using ND/UV filters for lens protection, a check of Lens Work seems to indicate that all Canon's white lenses with the exception of the 500 F4 have a protective flat front element built in.

Robert O'Toole
03-26-2008, 09:12 PM
I give up, I have no problem cleaning lenses (isopropyl, a lens brush and microfibre cloth) but for the life of me I CANNOT clean filters.

Dont use any liquid in on lens its recipe for disaster. I have been using lens pens and microfiber for more than 10 years with great results with my Telephoto drop in filters.

Wouldnt recommend a screw on filter.

Robert