PDA

View Full Version : Finepix HS10 Anyone?

Elliotte Rusty Harold
08-08-2010, 04:46 PM
So after a morning of dragging a scope, binoculars, a 50D, a 100-400mm L lens, a tripod, and two heads (one for scope, one for camera), a flash, a 100mm macro lens, and a few more pieces around Jamaica Bay in 25+ degree heat I think I need to get something smaller for casual use when birding, not photography, is the main objective.

Has anyone tried the Fuji Finepix HS10 yet? It's got long range (24mm-720mm), IS, decent macro mode, and manual ring focus which is the major feature missing on most point-and-shoots. In fact, I don't think there's been another point-and-shoot with manual ring focus since the FZ50 more than four years ago. I find manual focus critical for birds in bushes/phragmites/etc. and also for insect work.

On the downside, it hasn't tested as well as the other superzooms, has somewhat slower time from button press to photo capture, and places the manual zoom ring in a less than ideal position (right next to the camera body, a little blocked by the overhang.) The big ring on the barrel than should be manual focus is instead zoom. I'd much rather have my zoom on a button and the manual focus on the barrel. Still, at least it has manual focus.

Has anyone worked with this camera yet? I assume it's noticeably inferior to my 50D and an L-series lens, but how inferior? How does it stack up to other superzooms that don't have manual focus (or such poor ergonomics on the manual focus that they might as well not have manual focus) but likely have better sharpness, time-to-shoot, and autofocus?

Desmond Chan
08-08-2010, 06:02 PM
In fact, I don't think there's been another point-and-shoot with manual ring focus since the FZ50 more than four years ago. ...

I think Fujifilm has one that came out about the same time as the FZ50, viz., S6000fd aka S6500fd. You can do everything manual with it, focus, set ISO, aperture, shutter speed, etc. You can even shoot raw, too.

I think many people don't look any further than Canon so most don't know much about any other non-dslr cameras other than those of Canon or Nikon, the latter's P&S digi-cams you can forget about them IMO. For example, Casio has P&S that has a fps higher than that of some of the dslr, and fujifilm's new F300exr will use a phase detection AF system, and preliminary reviews show its AF is close to that of a dslr under good light situations. There're a lot of interesting non-dslr cameras out there.

Chris Brennan
08-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Although I hesitate to recommend another site, truth be told is that the folks over a DP Review usually do a fine job of testing a variety of digital cameras. Recently they came out with their Compact Super Zoom comparison test and the HS10 is in that mix. Have a look: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q110superzoomgroup/