PDA

View Full Version : Plant Bug

Steve Maxson
08-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Ken's Peek a Boo butterfly inspired me to process this one of a small Plant Bug on a black-eyed Susan flower. Despite the rather fearsome looking beak, I believe this insect feeds only on plants. 40D, MP-E 65 mm, 1/100, f/16, ISO 320, macro twin flash (diffused), hand held, full frame, NR on background. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Julie Kenward
08-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Steve, you're having too much fun with that lens. ;) I do like the detail of the insect overall - might add a slight bit more sharpness in the face and eyes but that's up to you. I do think the comp could be stronger. Less OOF foreground and more of the yellow petals so they don't cut through the middle of the insect would be nice but considering this is outside in the wild I think you did about as well as you could. Maybe a slight bend to raise the petals higher in the frame would have worked?

Roman Kurywczak
08-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Hey Steve,
Hmmmmm.....I think Jules is on to something....but I may actually want a touch more base....although that would bring more of the OOF center into play! I guess that's why I'm leaning towards the bit different position as Jules suggested......not saying bad.....but only better w/ a different angle! Light is dead on!

Paul Lagasi
08-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Steve..I am amazed at the detail on the bug, sharp...not to crazy about the growth in the left hand bottom corner but I guess type of crop available is limited...well captured

Nick Palmieri
08-09-2010, 06:56 AM
I like the overall image and agree with others comments. The detail in the bug is very nice. For some reason the yellow just under the middle of the bug is bothering me. It seems my eye gets pulled to the head then to that yellow, in spite of all the other yellow tones in the image. The rest of the visible flower certainly gives a sense of scale to this little guy.

kostas nianiopoulos
08-09-2010, 09:05 AM
good details on the bug , but this thing , on the left of the image it's bothers i think , maybe more sharp it will better i think :)

Steve Maxson
08-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the constructive comments. Looks like it's back to the drawing board for this one. :) Just to clarify - the OOF dark object in the LLC is the elevated center portion of the black-eyed Susan flower. This shy critter was not about to pose for me on the front side of the flower. :(

Jonathan Ashton
08-09-2010, 03:55 PM
Terrific detail in the bug (I would be very surprised if it ate pollen only - otherwise why would it have such a fearsome stabbing mouth-part - I think it is is likely to be a predator). I realise it is much easier said than done but the composition with the big patch of yellow does reduce impact a little. You did a marvellous job on the bug.