PDA

View Full Version : Humming Bird

Jay Sheinfield
08-08-2010, 11:19 AM
This bird is small enough to qualify for macro image, I think. The light was a bit harsh the moment I caught this...........tried to tone it down. Flowers desaturated, small clone of grass stalk.

Feedback welcome............

Nikon D3s
550mm
ISO 1600
1/1250 @f/6.3

Roman Kurywczak
08-08-2010, 11:48 AM
Hey Jay,
You know me and that crop tool.....just below the main row of petals off the bottom puts more emphasis on the hummungbird for my tastes and eliminates some of the FG distractions. Your self assesment on the light was right on....but I think you handled it well in PP'ing.....might lighten the face,,,,eye down to bring it up more and I do find the whitish streak a bit distracting.....but for my tastes....you nailed the wing blur! Not an easy feat on these little guys. I think overall you did very well considering some of the obstacles!

Anita Bower
08-08-2010, 11:55 AM
I have trouble seeing these little birds much less trying to photograph them. Wow! Good job. I agree with Roman about cropping from the bottom. I like seeing the iridescent back contrasting with the soft wing feathers. Nice image!

Jay Sheinfield
08-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Hi folks,

Thanks on the feedback.................here is a repost, still working on the head. Toned down the white.............

Jay

Steve Maxson
08-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Nice job of capturing this little guy, Jay, without using a bunch of fancy flash gear. Roman has some good suggestions above for tweaking the image and I like your repost as it retains the key aspects of the photo while placing more emphasis on the hummer. Well done.

Julie Kenward
08-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Jay, I agree that with the flower in the image you're good for the Macro/Flora forum but I'm also going to copy the thread to the Avian forum because I think you'll get some great constructive comments there as well.

Anita Bower
08-08-2010, 06:32 PM
I like the cropped image! I might rotate it slightly CW, until flower is straight. Not very important.

kostas nianiopoulos
08-09-2010, 09:07 AM
super image i love it , i dont know if i will ever meet a bird like it to get some images , i love this little guys with the fast wings !! well done !!

Adrian David
08-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Beautiful image! I really like it! There are butterflies bigger than this bird....:) Nice details on the plumage.

Jonathan Ashton
08-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Excellent image, i especially like the repost.