Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro w/56mm of tubes
Av mode
1/15"
F3.5
ISO:200
LR & CS3
Tripod

BG is white foam core. Natural window light. Image has been rotated 90 degrees CCW.

Roman Kurywczak
08-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Hey Ken,
Whiel I am a huge fan of high key (great minds think alike....I'm posting one from the other day too) I often struggle with shallow focus but usually spot one I like from a mile away and this one is no exception! I like the way the comp gives a nice depth and flow from front to back and the way the colors flow too.....from bold to light and fade off. Only recommendation I have is the colors and the LL....look a bit muddy/yellowish and would slightly clean that up. I am not the easiest guy to impress with shallow DOF.....but I do like them when they are done well! Very nice thought on this Ken and very well done!

Anita Bower
08-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Beautiful pinks and white bg. I like the shallow dof. I'm trying to figure out what doesn't work for me in this image--I think it is the direction of the petals, they look unnatural to me. I would rotate it not quite 90 degrees CCW and crop a bit. I look forward to the opinions of others.

Julie Kenward
08-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Ken, Ken, Ken...just when I think I have you pegged as a photographer you go and turn my perceptions upside down! ;) Way to get out of your box!

I also agree with Roman that the LLC is a bit muddy and the top center pink is a bit too harsh for the rest of the image but a slight screen layer or curves adjustment should take care of those issues. Like Anita, I wonder if there would have been a stronger comp but I don't think this is bad - just maybe not the best one possible. I give you two big thumbs up for posting it - what a great way to look at flowers differently. Keep trying and posting - we'll turn you into the next Georgia O'Keefe before you know it. :D

Ken Childs
08-08-2010, 06:42 PM
I think that this version could be considered as high-key.

Anita Bower
08-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Thanks, Ken, for this example and the definitions you provided.;)