PDA

View Full Version : Bandipur Tiger

Sabyasachi Patra
08-08-2010, 02:40 AM
It is not easy spotting a tiger in the dense forests of Bandipur Tiger Reserve, India and that too in monsoons. Earlier, I had seen this tiger sleeping in the dense undergrowth (most of those invasives) or just walking away. Finally saw this tiger twice in the same day for a satisfying experience.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV, Canon EF 400mm f2.8 L IS USM, ISO 800, f5.6, 1/400, full frame image, handheld.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Steve Kaluski
08-08-2010, 03:06 AM
Hi Sabyasachi, always good to see these animals.

I wonder if a slight movement to the right might have given better placement of the Tiger and avoided the vegetation obscuring the face? Sadly for me the OOF leafs detracts from might have been a really good image. Would also suggest a slight movement up in frame, ie less FG, more above, its just too tight I feel, especially with the dominant © text.

Personally it has the hallmarks of a good image, just a change of position would have made all the difference for clarity and composition.

TFS
Steve :D

Sabyasachi Patra
08-08-2010, 03:15 AM
Hi Steve,
Unfortunately, there was no way I could have moved to the right. The vehicles in Bandipur are covered at the top (a really funny rule by the forest department). Ofcourse, it was a different matter that it was raining a few minutes before I clicked this image. I was waiting to get a clear view and then clicked when one eye was clearly visible. In Ranthambhore and Bandhavgarh, one can move the vehicle and the tiger will still be there (true from most of the tigers in these reserves), however, in bandipur the tiger would vanish immediately into the undergrowth.

Will post some more with better eye contact. :)

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Ken Watkins
08-08-2010, 03:24 AM
Sabyaschi,

Pity about the leaf, but nonetheless nice to see that Bandipur is coming up with sightings:)

I look forward to more.

Harshad Barve
08-08-2010, 03:49 AM
THNX

Steve Kaluski
08-08-2010, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the clarification Sabyasachi, it is now much clearer behind the image.

Steve:)

Sabyasachi Patra
08-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Sadly for me the OOF leafs detracts from might have been a really good image. Would also suggest a slight movement up in frame, ie less FG, more above, its just too tight I feel, especially with the dominant © text.

TFS
Steve :D

What about the concept of virtual feet? ;) I may get panned for not leaving space below and in the direction it is moving?

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Sabyasachi Patra
08-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Bandipura is only NP in India where I have never sighted a tiger. Once I get over from hangover of Bandhavgarh , I will shoot there

You have seen tigers in all National Parks in India? If so that is a phenomenal achievement. I don't know of anyother person who has achieved such a feat.

Please let us know the dates when you sighted tiger in Namdapha National Parkas that would be important to the scientific community.

Try Bandipur in summer. The chances of sighting a tiger would be higher there compared to the rainy season.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Steve Kaluski
08-08-2010, 10:41 AM
OK, I can live with the space below, but above is just toooooo tight. Is there any more in the original image above?

Alfred Forns
08-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Hi Saby Agree on the leaf being in the way but still a real nice capture.

Regarding the virtual feet I think its close and you have enough space there, particularly since there is lots of oof vegetation .. as far as being just a concept .. I'm not too sure? Cutting virtual feet is an image killer IMO. The space up top is very tight and sure wish you had more. Must have been one exciting encounter !!!