PDA

View Full Version : Puffin portrait

Jory Griesman
08-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Inspired by Fabs' image of the other day. This from Elliston, Newfoundland. As some of you probably know, puffins frequently land at the spot where photographers and birdwatchers are located opposite the seastack in Elliston. Unfortunately, during about 12 hours over 2 days, only ONE puffin landed, and we had about 15 minutes to capture it.

Wondering what you think about the head angle of this one, after having looked at Artie's posts, and other comments, in Educational Resources. We have a good, almost parallel look, with good viz of eye and bill, bugt not sure if the bird is slightly turned away, and whether this is suboptimal.

Nikon D300, 600 mm f/4; f/16, 1/320 sec, ISO 200, with 1.7 TC, aperture priority

NB: background ocean already desatted a bit; thought about cloning out beak shadow, but left it.

Mike Fuhr
08-07-2010, 06:04 PM
I think this is a wonderful shot. Nicely exposed and sharp. I would not worry too much about the head angle -- I think that with his eye the way it is it make me wonder (in a good way) what he is looking at. What has his attention for the moment? IMHO we worry way too much about the "optimal" head angle whatever that is. As long as it tells the story you want... :)

Arthur Morris
08-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Sub-optimal for me as the head is turned away. For this pose a good head angle requires that the head be at least parallel to the back of the camera. Once you have at least that there are lots of other good head angles for this pose but head angled away is not one of them... I like the little grasses. EXP is good. The crop is a bit tight.

MohsenVahedipour
08-07-2010, 11:55 PM
Hi,
Great low angle shot with excellent detail, Exposure & sharpness. TFS

christopher galeski
08-08-2010, 04:18 AM
nice head shot,plenty of detail in the head,for me ,may lighten the eye a tad,not keen on plane blue BG,but this one works,I think because its dark.beauty is in the eye of the beholder.thanks.

stuart wanuck
08-08-2010, 09:25 AM
head angle off but still a very good capture.they are hard to get

Nicki Gwynn Jones
08-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Nothing wrong with the HA as far as I am concerned. Sweet pose, great sharpness and I love the OOF line at the bottom :)