PDA

View Full Version : Back to the rotting beach

Stuart Hill
08-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Back on the rubble beach. Still using my old 50mm until I receive my 10-20! I miss it.

Help and critique welcome.

kind regards.
Stu.

d300+50mm

Dave Mills
08-07-2010, 02:42 PM
Hi Stuart,In my book this is a winner!! Love the remnants of the pier as a leading line which you also offset. Nicely rendered as a B/W showing good detail and contrast with the well lit clouds adding interest and impact.To add to the image your telling a story of days gone by.
Small suggestion...if you shoot this again see if it's possible to get a bit higher so you can see a bit more of the water at the end of the pier. Also I might try to lighten the dark areas in the foreground posts to show a bit more detail.(not much)
Great job on an image that carries alot of impact

peter delaney
08-07-2010, 04:33 PM
I love this, Stuart.... ... lots of strong elements within the image... from the posts in FG to the big skies in BKG, I would not lighten both posts in FG but one as I quite like having a the black post to anchor the image and whitish clouds....

Stuart Hill
08-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the help Peter/Dave. Agree with getting a little more detail in the sea weed at the top of the posts. Will give the higher pov a go but was worried about losing separation of the posts and surrounding rocks as everything is covered in barnacles!

thanks again.
Stu.

Judy Howle
08-07-2010, 09:19 PM
That is a stunning image. Wonderful textures and shapes and interesting subject matter to boot.

Stuart Hill
08-08-2010, 05:31 AM
Thanks Judy. This beach has such a great story.

Nick Palmieri
08-08-2010, 07:21 AM
Real nice choice for B&W conversion. Love the details and leading lines. Agree the the FG could be lightened a bit.

Morkel Erasmus
08-09-2010, 12:29 PM
awesome impact here - good suggestions for a reshoot too...great conversion here, using the contrasts and textures to your advantage

Roman Kurywczak
08-11-2010, 06:11 AM
Hey Stuart,
I agree this is very strong and I also agree about lightening the tops of the piers. I will suggest you also try one from the side......with seperation in the pilings......but this is a very nice angle too as it draws you in! Really nice job composingthis!